ID:36470

"There’s a character named Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now"

Up. Until. Now.

: (

So, if I've understood this wording correctly, it sounds like Ness has been completely replaced by Lucas (as opposed to my hope that they'd include both of them, with different move sets)...

Goodbye, my friend...

Alas, this is the first (and hopefully only) disappointing news to come out of the new Smash Bros, so I think I can forgive them...

I guess, though, that aside from some added abilities, some tweaks to the familiar attacks, and a cosmetic change, he's still basically the same fighter Ness was... So as long as his style still feels like Ness', I'll be alright, I hope...

I still wish they'd give us Ness, though... Maybe there's still hope of him being included as an assist trophy or something...
I loved playing as Ness too, but Lucas will be 10x better, to be sure.

Someone needed to be cut, and I'm guessing Ness was the least-wanted out of all of SSBM ones.

*Prays that Game&Watch is still in*
That sucks, Ness was cool. PK-FIRE! Or something.

Although:
"But Lucas’s physical combat style is quite different. By which I mean, he does not have the same standard moves."

Does that mean they'll have both?
Elation wrote:
That sucks, Ness was cool. PK-FIRE! Or something.

Although:
"But Lucasâ??s physical combat style is quite different. By which I mean, he does not have the same standard moves."

Does that mean they'll have both?

Lucas has all of Ness' attacks, PK Fire, PK Thunder, PK Shield, plus PK-powered Melee attacks and a new Upwards Smash thats a Charging Freeze Blast.
Oh yeah, he has a Final Smash too.

I never really liked Ness, but I can relate to your loss.

Marth was my best character in Melee. It looks like they're doing the exact same thing to him. There's an eerily similar character named Ike on the Dojo site.
Ness was a character in one of the coolest games of all time. By that merit alone it's completely depressing that he was scrubbed. Earthbound needs more publicity.

Could you imagine a new Earthbound game? Not MOTHER 3, but one featuring Ness instead? *squeals with delight like a Japanese schoolgirl*
:'(
If they do this to capt. falcon, I won't buy brawl.
Yeah....ness used to pwn.
I am more concerned with Captain falcon.

If they don't add captain falcon, jesus will cry.

EDIT: I see others noticed the same too.

--

But I am most anticipated with the release/preview of Luigi, as he was my favorite character in Melee.

Luigis mansion gear maybe? Seeing how Mario got his sunshine gear.
Mechana2412 wrote:
Someone needed to be cut, and I'm guessing Ness was the least-wanted out of all of SSBM ones.

Two words: Ice Climbers.
Jtgibson wrote:
Ness was a character in one of the coolest games of all time. By that merit alone it's completely depressing that he was scrubbed. Earthbound needs more publicity.

At a time when game localizations were basically a half-assed job, it was nice to have a game like Earthbound which was funny and devoid of any annoying Engrish. It still holds up way better than many games of that time.
they cant take out captain falcon. His falcon punch has become a thing of history.
Popisfizzy wrote:
Mechana2412 wrote:

Two words: Ice Climbers.

I agree with you there. I don't recall an intance where I ever used Ice climbers in melee, soley for the fact that if you lose one of the climbers all of your movesets are shit.

Besides the fact that their moves ARE shit.

Where's the obviously superior Mario brother, Luigi?
Are they revealing the unlockable characters, or the ones you start with....?

If thats the case, then Luigi would be unlockable.
Well we got until February, so you still got hope.
I don't think they're revealing any unlockables at all, nope.

the reason they're getting rid of Ness is because they're not having any "clone" characters this time around. that means no Young Link, etc.

there is speculation that Young Link will be included as an alternate costume of Link (also it was mentioned that Wind Waker Link would be included!)

so I wouldn't be surprised if Ness showed up as an alternate costume of Lucas! :]

if there's anything Smash Bros games do, it's please the fans. the whole concept of Smash Bros essentially is a service to fans, so I would be shocked if they pulled Ness out entirely, making people worldwide simultaneously go "aw MAN!"
Cool, so I get to start with sonic.

--

Wind waker link would be cool. And paper mario.

but yeah, Ness being an alternative costume for Lucas would work. But I don't think young link would be an alternative costume.
I trained myself in Melee to use everyone, yes, even the Ice Climbers (that... was NOT... Easy...), so seeing Ness go would be disappointing... he was a really strong fighter once you mastered him.
Page: 1 2