Mano A Mano

by Flick
Mano A Mano
Knights, archers, and wizards in a free for all battle to the death.
ID:36646

Keywords: review
The first thing a player logging into Mano A Mano will see is an attractive help file, and a simple, yet appealing, game board. Even if nothing else catches your interest here, it's worth taking the time to study the help file. Flick is a master of making appealing and easy to understand interfaces, and nowhere is that more apparent than in Mano A Mano.

Graphics and interface aren't the only things this game is riding on, though. Beneath the simple rules lies a game of pure strategy with multiple levels of tactics. Gameplay takes place in several rounds, with each player able to perform five actions per round. Players must choose their actions without knowing what their opponents may be planning, and then watch as everyone's moves take place simultaneously. Actions include standard actions, like move, turn, and attack, and class specific actions, like the Druid's Tree Growth or the Magician's Magic Dart. The last player alive wins.

Players have to feel out their opponent's style through the first several rounds before moving in for the kill, but once you've played against someone enough, you start to learn their opening moves, how they prepare for an attack, and when they've bluffed and healed. This is really where the game shines, in thinking like your opponent and anticipating his moves... while he does the same against you!

Between two and four players can play at any time, with the choice of seven drastically different, yet well balanced, classes (all classes are available to all players at this time, though that may not be apparent at first). In four player games, the first three rounds are a slaughter, with damage heavy classes (like the Pyromancer and Barbarian) both giving and taking multiple hits. The survivors then take part in a complicated dog fight, each moving about the board in cryptic fashion trying to obtain a clear shot at the other. The winner is the one who is able to think out his opponents' moves and use his own class's techniques to exploit them.

Mano A Mano was an instant classic the moment Flick released it, and, unlike many BYOND games, has aged well. It is still hosted at all times, and boasts something of an active community. Send out a couple pages, there are a lot of people out there just waiting for an opponent.
Hehe. Like the review.

The Wizard's Dart isn't all that special though. It does one damage and has a range of four tiles. <_<
Cool! Thanks Iain :)

The game does get at least a few games played every day, but dozens of people log in for a minute or two looking for opponents. Maybe I'll try and work out some sort of list of people who wouldn't mind being paged for a game. You could log in, check the list and then page anybody you was still online. Or add your name to the list if you'd like somebody to page you. Hmm. Any ideas?

I recently started working on a basic AI for this, but I've sort of been sucked into playing my son's new Wii, and all productivity has ground to a halt. :)
Flick wrote:
Maybe I'll try and work out some sort of list of people who wouldn't mind being paged for a game. [...] Or add your name to the list if you'd like somebody to page you.

Definitly. I'll put myself on there twice :)
Slap me on that pager thing i love the game 1-0 so far ;)