ID:37021

Keywords: byond355
A new guild has hit byond, a community for all the people who can't or won't use BYOND 4.0 or up.

Join now and submit games compiled in byond 3.55!
It's simple to get 4.0 working, you people just won't file bug reports and then whine about how it doesn't work.
Update your firewall settings to allow the new BYOND.exe and dreamseeker.exe to allow access.

You people just don't know what your doing.
Just ignore them. Once 3.5 has been removed as the stable version and everybody else uses 4.0, they'll switch. If they don't, they'll be stuck in their little guild, unable to pester us anyway.

-- Data
3.5 is obselete. I think they just don't like the rumors going around about 4.X being buggy, and because of that they don't actually try it out. Then they spread the rumors to their friends without any concrete evidence, and so on. He is entitled to his own opinions, but he has to face the facts: Byond 4.X is better both for users and programmers than 3.5!
I'm well aware that BYOND 4.x is better then byond 3.5, but some people seem to have problems getting it to work or just preffer to stick to byond 3.5 (as myself).

For those people who rather use 3.5, i do think it might be usefull to have a list of games compiled in 3.5

Personally i don't like the byond 4.x interface, but i noticed there is a 3.5 interface for 4.x now.
I prefer 3.5 as well. 4.0 is slower and I hate custom interfaces since they're impossible to get them to look good.
custom interfaces are not that hard to get looking good, Kobata/2Shea made one for GOA and it looks really 100x better than that gray 3.5 crap.
I agree with Dan, Custom Interfaces can look much better than the defaults. You just have to spend some time on them. Here's one I'm working on now:
http://files.byondhome.com/DarkCampainger/ CPScreenshotInterface.jpg

Pardon the mess, I just dropped support for 800x600, and I'm still moving stuff around :P

I guess this guild could be useful. There are still a decent number of people who can't run 4.0. However, if you can run it, I don't see any real reasons not to update. Things will pick up once the community learns how to use the new 4.0 features to their full potential.
4.0 wont work on windows 98, so thats why im here, plus 4.0 doesn't use macros sooo whatever...
3.5 runs slow enough as it is on my computer already. So... I'm with whichever program runs faster for me!

Just found out this guild existed.

O___o
hey syncwolf nice charmed can u help me make a game in byond plz??
Monet wrote:
3.5 runs slow enough as it is on my computer already. So... I'm with whichever program runs faster for me!

Just found out this guild existed.

O___o

Yeah, the guild hasnt been around for to long yet, december 2 2007.

Joshuasant wrote:
hey syncwolf nice charmed can u help me make a game in byond plz??

Sure, give me some info and ill see what i can do to help.
Coolman1250 wrote:
4.0 wont work on windows 98, so thats why im here, plus 4.0 doesn't use macros sooo whatever...

4.0 does use macros... After I downloaded it(the day it came out), it took me like 5 minutes to figure the stuff out. Its not hard at all. I've been hearing alot of people say it doesnt use macros, and well thats just one big lie. Its called looking around. Pluss, I gotta agree that this guild is kinda something to help those who need to 3.5 games. However, the beta version is MUCH better. It offers new features, graphics, and ect. to games. Which of course makes the BYOND experience all the more better. Also, im pretty sure once 4.0 has some of its bugs worked out it will be all good once again. Although all of the bugs i've found are VERY minor.. So I dont see why the users would be so conserned about it... But whatever.
yeah,i agree BYOND 4.0 is good it does not have a major bug so try and check it out now...its better than the older version just so i'am here to tell you this....don't forget to check it huh..?
No. 3.5 forever, I would join and submit my game but the fact that i'm not a member so I can't join got in front of that, so I guess it can't join....
I'm just getting to looking at my game's page for the first time in a few months and noticed someone added it to this guild. You might wanna remove it, because early last month I 4.0'd it :O
Fuck ^^
FINALLY A 3.5 GUILD
Yes, 4.0 is a beta, and that means it is buggy, and it may very well not work for some people. Tom says they're hoping to veer away from working on the site and get back to addressing some of the problems that are preventing people from using it.

Regarding 4.0 interfaces, the default interface only applies to older games. And Airjoe, saying that its impossible to make a good-looking interface is almost offensive to those of us who've tried very hard to do just that. Some of us put some real effort into them, and you're basically saying that our effort is worse than 3.55's generic gray interface with a bunch of verbs.
Heh, this has happened before. Back when pagers became separate from dream seeker. A lot of people didn't like it at the time, but eventually everyone got use to it, and realized how much better it is. Change is hard, and for some, it may seem horrifyingly, however, living in the past is even worse. You're going to need to update to 4.0 eventually, might as well do it now.
Page: 1 2