who masterdan is no one special
Of course he wasn't convinced. Masterdan can't be dissuaded from a dumb idea.

I do think as far as derivative work is concerned, removing all elements derived from that work is enough to reinvent your product as a non-derivative. But it has to be wiped clean of that.
Seeing someone concede to someone else's reasoning in this community is a rare thing.
Lummox JR wrote:
Of course he wasn't convinced. Masterdan can't be dissuaded from a dumb idea.

I do think as far as derivative work is concerned, removing all elements derived from that work is enough to reinvent your product as a non-derivative. But it has to be wiped clean of that.

_> its always nice when you get picked on by byond admins.

And lummox goes on to agree with the point i was trying to make.

"
I do think as far as derivative work is concerned, removing all elements derived from that work is enough to reinvent your product as a non-derivative. But it has to be wiped clean of that." Exactly what i was trying to say!
Masterdan wrote:
The company that owns naruto has no legal right to the graphics made for a game under the same name.

I would agree that they have no right to use the naruto graphics you made in any of their products. However you have no right to use their naruto concepts in any of your products. You can draw them all you want, you just can't use them.
Masterdan wrote:
I suppose if i was to put the graphics in a usb stick and mail it to myself i would be best off for proof.

I'd like to point out that for the whole mailing material to yourself dealy, it has to be registered post. As in, you register the mail with the post office and what-not, so that they actually have a record of it. :)
Also important is that it has to be read-only memory that can't be altered once written to. That rules out USB sticks.
Holy crap, you wrote a whole [essay basically] about a blog post >_>. Why do all these comments sound like people with a freakin' college major in law? I though most of byond were high schoolers.
Most are, which is the very problem; they make assumptions about the law that just aren't true.

The law is all about profit. Governments want to protect people who make profits, because that's profitable for the governments, and people want to make profits because that gives them power to sway the government towards their moral beliefs (and lets them buy passion, which many people mistake for love ;-)).

So, when someone assumes that the letter of the law will ignore them because they're giving credit to the creator of the show, they're mistaken. All it takes is one lawyer with an overzealousness, and their veiled view of reality can be shattered faster than the NEV-R-BREAK snowglobes on The Simpsons.
Jtgibson wrote:
Most are, which is the very problem; they make assumptions about the law that just aren't true.

The law is all about profit. Governments want to protect people who make profits, because that's profitable for the governments, and people want to make profits because that gives them power to sway the government towards their moral beliefs (and lets them buy passion, which many people mistake for love ;-)).

So, when someone assumes that the letter of the law will ignore them because they're giving credit to the creator of the show, they're mistaken. All it takes is one lawyer with an overzealousness, and their veiled view of reality can be shattered faster than the NEV-R-BREAK snowglobes on The Simpsons.

Well articulated but the fact is that while profit is important, the fact that byond fan games make no money and dont detract in materiality from these big companies pockets, and that nobody who makes these games has deep pockets, this is why we are not at risk to be sued. Also alot of this topic was about wether or not graphics made that were not themselves copyrighted but included with an overal project that has some infringing aspects were protected, which most people would at least concede that you dont lose copyright protection on stuff just because you bundle it with other things that infringe, you would only need to remove the infringing content.
Page: 1 2