ID:37457

It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination.Do You Concur?
I don't concur. Your post is the product of a deranged imagination. Assuming that the number of worlds indeed equals infinity is not correct, nor is using a finite number for comparison. To do so you would need variables.

Also, no matter how low your answer, you never decrease probability from an extremely small decimal to 0. There is a difference.

Good day, sir.
whoa...
i just got.....
owned
The matrix is real.
The universe is finite in size, and there is also a finite amount of energy (and therefore matter) in the universe. Therefore, it is impossible for there to be an infinite amount of planets.
Several things:
- You're ripping off Douglas Adams. Don't.

- The universe is currently believed to be finite.

- Even if only some of those infinite planets were inhabited, there would still be an infinite number of inhabited worlds. Consider if, say, ten percent of all worlds had life. What's ten percent of infinity? It's infinity.

- Finite number of people, infinite amount of space, implies an infinitesmal average population, which is different from zero. In fact, it's the smallest non-zero number available.
Yeah, as the others have pointed out, you are wrong. The universe is considered finite(although it is possible that this isn't the only universe, but physics suggest that it is, at least it is the only one that exists in our physical realm).

I don't remember Douglas Adams ever saying that, but it does sound like a Douglas Adams thing, and if you are ripping him off, shame on you. Douglas Adams was one of the most creative and interesting writers of the 20th Century. You shame him by poorly quoting something likely out of context.

Besides, we know that life exists, and it cannot be proven otherwise mathematically because we exist. We are the ultimate proof that life exists in this universe and anything that says otherwise is flawed.
I think, therefore I am. Even if the universe was just a delusion of one person's mind, the population would still be one, and one doesn't equal zero.
It's from the Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

Also, Disturbed, it's "I doubt, therefore I am". The mainstream translation is a bit off - that's what Descartes was doing, you see - doubting existence.

Of course, he then went and decided that he could prove the existence of God based on that, so he wasn't too good at this whole 'doubting' thing. Thomas could show him a thing or two.
wow i agree but if it is a imagination then you are still afrigment of your OWN imagination meaning that there is no life any where and you read something made by your own imagination ther for meaning you see hear and think only what nothing makes for you to see meaning nothing is real not even your imagination AkA there is no universe so there are no planets so no people and no imagination and no "it"

=D=D=D
I'm amazed at how you could ignore just about every comment on this page which goes in the face of what you just said, 4play.
- Even if only some of those infinite planets were inhabited, there would still be an infinite number of inhabited worlds. Consider if, say, ten percent of all worlds had life. What's ten percent of infinity? It's infinity.

Owned.
Sammywell there is great Owner
=( ok then popisfizzy i see your point i realy gave myself a headack with this one but i did read all the post AFTER i posted mine but i guess your right
sammy the new server cant connect it connection failed...T.T
No, this is sloppy math, on top of that you have not proved that there is an infinite number of worlds because space is not guaranteed to be infinite and we can trace the origins of our universe as we know it to one crucial moment, so all things considered it would seem that while space may or may not be infinite, matter is not. And i think therefor i am and therefor there is at least 1 guaranteed inhabitant of the universe and therefor no amount of rounding error will stop me from believing others exist.