ID:37714

Keywords: my_life_etc
Well, I was supposed to MC this year's 48 Hour Film Festival screening here in Spokane tonight... but I "quit" this morning.

There was a particularly offensive/crappy short film that made it into the finalists, and I didn't want to endorse it by association. It was either me or that film, and since no one wanted to take the blame for "censoring" a "work of art", they chose the film.

I'm sure that some people will be offended by the film, but I doubt that it will stir up that much controversy. It's more the idea of giving a venue to a moron who doesn't even have a coherent message that I had a problem with. It's just another incompetent example of shock value for the sake of shock value.

The good news is that now I get to sit around with my new WIFE drinking martinis and watching Curb Your Enthusiasm all night. Happy New Years!
Congratulations on the wedding again! And good choice on quitting. Being associated with a shock-film would probably do you more damage than good in the long run.
I'm curious. Are you allowed to share what the film was about?
Happy new year! And if I forgot to say it before, and I think I did: congratulations on your wedding!

I can't comment intelligently on the MCing decision since I don't know what duties the film festival entails. If you have to display enthusiasm for each entry, that's one thing (and would add an extra layer of depth to watching Curb Your Enthusiasm); if you just have to read off the name, that's another. (I assume you don't get to make a wisecrack about each one -- surely you would have jumped at the chance.)