ID:38644

Poll: How would you classify yourself?

Objectivist 44% (8)
Subjectivist 16% (3)
Emotivist 5% (1)
Cultural Relativist 22% (4)
Nihilist 11% (2)

Only members of can vote.

I am taking an Ethics class this semester and I am curious to see what this communities take on morality is.

In case you don’t know what the categories are:

Objectivist:
You believe there is absolute moral truth that is the same for everyone and unaffected by what we think or feel about it.

Subjectivism:
You believe that moral truth is determined by what an individual thinks about something.

Emotivism:
You believe that moral truth is determined by how an individual feels about something.

Cultural Relativist (aka Conventionalism):
You believe that moral truth is determined by a culture or society.

Nihilist:
You think that there is not moral truth at all.
How about the "I don't know -ists"?
Objectivism just sounds naive.
Cultural Relativist sounded like the best answer. As people, we "can" decide what's right and wrong, but that is usually determined by our upbringings, which is our culture. Nihilism though...it could work :\
Popisfizzy wrote:

Keep in mind that objectivism doesn't say that you know what is true. It just says that there is an absolute truth.
And it still naive.
Popisfizzy wrote:

I'd say that calling Morality subjective would be naive.
SilkWizard wrote:

Aside from the wrong grammar, I know what you mean, and congradulations.
Popisfizzy wrote:
SilkWizard wrote:

You can't make fun of someone's grammar and misspell a word in the same sentence!
SilkWizard wrote:
Popisfizzy wrote:
SilkWizard wrote:

You can't make fun of someone's grammar and misspell a word in the same sentence!

He just did.
SilkWizard wrote:
Popisfizzy wrote:
SilkWizard wrote:

I dare you to prove otherwise good sir.
Actually, Pop, I'm an objectivist - I think morality is absolute and unchanging.
I'd have to say I'm a conventionalist. (though I voted Nihilist on accident. =\)

I don't believe there is a pre-made list of things that are okay and things that aren't.

I believe morals are simply something used to build a functioning society (you can't successfully create a functioning society if people are going around doing whatever they want).

I'm not sure I'm saying this right, but I think it should be pretty clear what I mean. :\

Just looking at it logically.
Morals are based on a local society, and your culture. I don't find sacrificing animals to be particularly humble, but a native African living in the African forests, might think that they only way for them to continue is for them to sacrifice animals, so they think its alright. I am not a rich person, but I think stealing is one of the worse things a person could possibly do to another person short of killing them. Someone who grew up in a ghetto, or grew up thinking that they are stealing from the rich who don't need it might think otherwise. It's all a question of where you grew up, and your local societies standards.
I absolutely loathe moral relativism. Loathe it. It paths the way for world views that excuse things like subjugation and beating of women based on one's culture. Moral relativism is nothing more than western justification for one part of society in the third world asserting control over another society.

Human rights are universal. Humans are fundamentally entitled to them - we are all built the same. Evolution has constructed us to think in the same ball park.

Because we all have fundamental human rights on an optimistic day I believe that there is an objective moral truth. I'd like to throw out some evidence to support this in the fact that every society has some form on the golden rule.

On a cynical day, I lean towards nihilism. Because of the way we are built as humans we also fundamentally transgress these fundamental moral principles during times of duress.
Human rights are universal. Humans are fundamentally entitled to them - we are all built the same.

Jesus Christ, World said something I agree with.
Jp wrote:
Actually, Pop, I'm an objectivist - I think morality is absolute and unchanging.

That doesn't change my opinion in the least.