ID:3887

Keywords: my_life
So I come to school, and I just realise, the school bought around 100-200 new Dell computers. And look what the specs are!

Intel Pentium 4 @ 3.4 GHz with HyperThreading (2 virtual CPUs)
1024 mbs of DDR2-600 RAM.
Intel Extreme Graphics
19" LCD monitor
BTX Form Factor

Aside from the integrated graphics (yuck) WTF? Puzzles me why the school would buy such good computers when they will be only used for school purposes. Even though they can't even touch my computer in terms of speed (Go AMD Athlon =P), it's kind of ridiculous for the school to spend $1500 on EACH computer. (That's canadian money, but still a lot.)

Meh, they might be trying to "future proof" themselves, so I might be seeing them in ten years. Haha, future proofing...
For art projects (Photoshop and 3d modelling mainly). Hence the dual processors.
Nope. Not 3d modelling. Running 3d modelling programs on an Intel "Extreme" Graphics "card" is not a good thing to be doing. :)

Nodes to do rendering of 3d models on is a possibility, since only the CPU is involved for that, but generally one wants a good 3d graphics card to do 3d modelling. A workstation card is preferrable, but no school will shell out that kind of cash. :P
Unless you're going into a career as a teacher w/o collage somehow (maybe they get desparate) I sure hope you won't be seeing the computers in 10 years :P that would mean you are very stupid :(

(I am figuring in behavior btw; if you don't get it into your head that you won't pass without changing what you're doing after 10 years, you're stupid :D)