ID:38947

Keywords: angst, byond
The use of "coder" and "codes" and "iconer" and various other brain-dead language has to stop. Use real words, dagnabbit. =P
That's a bit anal, even for me.

"What are you doing?"
"Coding."
"So you're a coder?"
"No! I'm a programmer who writes code!"

'Iconer' sounds yucky, but appropriate, since most of the garbage you see produced by self professed 'Iconners' isn't worth calling pixel art (and so, they can't appropriately be called pixel artists.)
Evre wrote:
"What are you doing?"
"Coding."

I would say "Programming" or, more accurately, "Working on Interstellar Inc." "Coding" in this sense isn't a proper verb either -- coding as a verb means to perform a cryptographic conversion or the process of converting source code into machine code.
Jtgibson wrote:
I would say "Programming" or, more accurately, "Working on Interstellar Inc." "Coding" in this sense isn't a proper verb either -- coding as a verb means to perform a cryptographic conversion or the process of converting source code into machine code.

Which is precisely what I do when I program. I convert simple flow-of-logic statements into code DM can understand.

I have no problem with “coder”, but I do agree that “codes” is used improperly and “iconer” is not a word.
Programming is the proper term for what programmers do. "Coding" and "coder" are more like slang, and excessive use of them tends to make you look like an idiot in the eyes of people who use proper words.

Woohoo. Not like anyone under 20 cares anymore. I hope the world ends soon.
Woohoo. Not like anyone under 20 cares anymore. I hope the world ends soon.

I certainly care.
Coder and Iconner are just slang words that you old timers just have to accept. The Back in my day coders were called programmers rant is extremely boring. Eventually you will come to accept these terms just like we accepted the word creativist. =p
Well, no. See, "creativist" as a word is derived from existing lingual structures (also important is that it is derived from an adjective, and further important that it has the same sense as the already-existing word "realist").

Iconer and coder are just simple nouns that have been, pardon the play, verbed.