ID:39162

Keywords: pokemon, review

10/10

Off-Topic: A great game in my opinion. I remember when this released, just amazing.

Beginning: when you log in you see a sign of dedication to the game with the beginning location, I just felt I'd throw this in here just to state how it felt when I ran it. Here.

Design: the arrangement, communication, and game play of this game's design was awesome. Fint made an excellent game, and put time into it to make it great in my opinion on it. The game wasn't just thrown down with a few codes and a few turfs and expected it to work. The game map, was a good assembled one in aspect of BYOND Pokemon games. Nicely done.

Battle/Combat: How he made the combat seemed, I felt like it was based perfectly to how it would in GBA. It was a nice use of the boxes to appear on the screen, and use the browser functions to simulate the damage, and attacks. The battling seemed to follow things in the original games of Pokemon, but this was far more original as far as BYOND goes. Oh, and take a look at the grid he did for the actual map section. Nice placements, here.

I've tried it before. Good review, but the 10/10 seems questionable.
seems like an awfully short review for a game with a perfect score.

on a side note, i think i played this game before. years ago, before i even found out about byond. it was called Pokemon Red.
Propaganda wrote:
seems like an awfully short review for a game with a perfect score.

on a side note, i think i played this game before. years ago, before i even found out about byond. it was called Pokemon Red.

I fully agree that you cant give such a short review then offer up a meaningful score, let alone such a high one.
Right.

And after playing it for a bit, I can already give you some flaws that I've found.

1. You can't choose which character icon you get. You recieve a random character icon from one of the games, as well a random color. A yellow colored trainer, with the icon from the Pokemon card game? Yuck!

2.The A.I isn't very.. Good. I had trouble killing a Metapod with my Squirtle because the only thing it used was Harden. When It ran out of PP after 8 times, he decided to attack. How clever.

3.No tutorial. Im just thrown into the game, and it asks me which of the 3 pokemon I want. Squirtle, Bulbasaur, and Charmander. Where are the other starters from the other games? Diversity is always nice.

4. OOC does not exist. There is 1 Say command, and it works as an OOC. I like having my Say & OOC separate.

5.Empty houses. Self explainitory.
1. i am shocked at the degree of agreement masterdan and i have found lately. by the way, good job on the guild so far. i like the improvement.

2. contrary to popular belief, everything i post is related on topic. i just tend to be severely oblique. this is a pokemon game you reviewed. there have been many iterations of such games, specifically the ones made by nintendo. the difference is that this game is a multiplayer online game. you did not mention anything about that aspect of the game, which is what it should truly differentiate itself by. great, it tried to emulate pokemon red. i could load up a gb emulator and the rom just as easily as i could log into that game.
Propaganda wrote:
1. i am shocked at the degree of agreement masterdan and i have found lately. by the way, good job on the guild so far. i like the improvement.

2. contrary to popular belief, everything i post is related on topic. i just tend to be severely oblique. this is a pokemon game you reviewed. there have been many iterations of such games, specifically the ones made by nintendo. the difference is that this game is a multiplayer online game. you did not mention anything about that aspect of the game, which is what it should truly differentiate itself by. great, it tried to emulate pokemon red. i could load up a gb emulator and the rom just as easily as i could log into that game.

Very well explained. I agree.

There wasn't much Online multiplayer experience to the game. I didn't get to choose what my character looked liked, and, seeing how its online, some more starters would have been alright.

Oh and. Mixing up sprites from Pokemon Red/Gold is fine. But putting in sprites from Ruby/Sapphire sure does make it look out of place. Stick to one theme.

Worth mentioning: This is the old version 5.4 reviewed.
Quite alot of "flaws" are not present in the new vesrion.

Oh and on a side note, you don't get a random icon with random colour. Try logging in on other servers for example.

Anyways, I'm not supporting this review just because it's based on an old version. We've been testing and working on a much better version the last 4 months.
Pokemon Citrine

This is one of the best Pokemon Game in BYOND, to say the least, and has been in the BYOND Community for some time.
Its original in many ways, by grasping the essence of Blue/Red & Gold/Silver, with unique features in itself. Most Pokemon Byond games today are either "Be a Pokemon" or "Diamond & Pearl" Types, which for originality, are more like a dozen. There are many unique features one can find, as I will state some from the Old Version.(Seeing the Test Version is TOP SECRET:)

1.Original Game Play:
"The mapping makes me feel like the old times when everyone in my old neighborhood played, traded, battles, and stuff like that."-XSky RiderX
Just like XSky RiderX said, the game brings one back to Kanto, where it all began(It didn't began on Sinnoh). One must depart on his journey to be a Pokemon Master & with the dream of Catching Them All. You start at the Professor Lab, where you choose which Pokemon starter to embark together in your Journey; Squirtle, Bullbasaur, Charmander(to add diversity in the game, a color is preselected for your Trainer.If it wasn't so, there will be so many of the same color it would be ridiculous. The same trainer for everyone could have been issued for the purpose of equality, as also for a player not to be mistaken for a NPC. A trainer should not, in my opinion, be look upon his outfit, but his Pokemons.)

A.Battle

When you have chosen your Pokemon, you should go and lvl your Pokemon you have chosen.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/edie27/untitled-2.jpg

The battle mode is original, seeing that a pop-up ask you what you want to do:
Fight-Pack-Pokemon-Run.
This pop up took time to implement,
as opposed to on screen numberpad menus, taken directly from a Pokemon Game. It feels good that the owner went out of the way to "Based on the original Pokemon games" but not copy it entirely, menu by menu, road by road, house by house. If it was the same as "Pokemon Red", I would have lost interest, and replayed the Pokemon Red again. The battle against a wild Pokemon gives one a challenge. Some are not easy to defeat right away, but eventually with enough training, nothing is impossible. NPC Trainer also give on a challenge, as well are marks as how strong your Pokemon are(Yes I'm talking about the notorious Butterfree Trainer). If you can't defeat him, it just mean you have to train harder to beat him next time. How fun will it be if you beat the game on one day?

B.Strategy

Strategy comes in to play in the game entirely. You can beat MOST of the NPC Trainers with brute strength. But, when faced with a multi-player world where there are many Living, Breathing Trainers trying to test their strength with or against you, what would you do? Many would panic, but only the best would survive. Tackle would only work so much against that Pidgey until he brings out..Sand Attack!!!. Even the strongest Pokemon, such as Gyrados will eventually fall to it defeat when misused. One needs to think as he, himself, was on the side with his Pokemon. So think carefully when you choose your line-up.
Think carefully when you choose your attack. Better yet, think even more when you choose your type. There is not one set move, or one set Pokemon that will ensure you victory every time. To make things even more even, Badges caps lvl of Pokemon to be traded and how far they can evolve to. This forces you to not depend on one Pokemon, but the team. What will happen if your Trump Card was defeated? Nidoking was demolished on the first turn!!!AHH!!What should i do?!! Don't Panic, because of the caps you most than likely have a team of strong Pokemon to carry you to victory. So, If your opponent was chuckling and expecting an easy victory, Think Again. Sweat and tear is what he would endured. Basically, lvl 100 vs lvl 5 is mostly never going to happen, neither would beggars get their way on getting high lvl Pokemon's or money.You want a Alakazam? $1000000? Work for it. Train your Pokemon & you would achieve it my good friend.

C.The Experience

Though the journey is long, and well traveled, don't get discourage. Many greats have had the same problems that you are facing. There are many people online that will be glad to help you on your quest. Being that the server is not run by the owner himself, it may feel hard to find the right help. Don't get itimated by player run servers. They don't have a ban key, or any other rights than you or me have. The owner himself is easy to contact in a time of need of answers. Just go to the forums, look at all the guides, and if you still have a question, post and ask the owner the question himself. He would be glad to answer one and all of your question. The forum is the most helpful place for a begginer, with friendly staff and members. So don't be shy, say hi on the forums!!:)

D.Conclusion

Well, i just gave a quick overview of what the game is about.
Yes, there is only 6 gyms.
Yes, the lvl cap is 30.
Yes, thats Professor Elm; The gym are not in order
And
Yes, Its a Work In Progress.
But nevertheless,
For Old timers like me who liked The old Pokemon's or newcomer who want to experience the "Citrine Experience",
Why not stay and see what its about?
What else can you lose?
Oh the great chance to play something that is not
"Pokemon Red".