ID:39234

Keywords: byond, chat, contest
Yes that's right! You heard it here first! BYOND Chat is offering up a free digitalBYOND hosting package and a BYOND membership for the winning chat system (or systemss), based on a set of criteria to be determined.

Contest is open to single developers or groups.

Check out the related forum discussion here: http://www.byond.com/members/BYONDChat/forum?id=2&view=0

Submit your entries here: http://www.byond.com/members/BYONDChat/forum?id=7

If you are interested in judging: http://www.byond.com/members/BYONDChat/forum?id=8

Deadline is currently scheduled for mid-March. Check back for a set date.
I'm in ;)
Count me in.
Aww man, we have to add in that useless channels feature? It very rarely gets used in any Chat server I've been in. Be it wiz_chat, Chatty, Chat or AChat. It's completely unnecessary and should be classed as an optional feature...
Tiberath wrote:
Aww man, we have to add in that useless channels feature?

It was used quite often in Chatters, Ben G's chat program, and the others mentioned. channels offer a place where like-minded groups can chat, either publically or privately.

But I will consider moving it to the 'wish list'.
Yeah, no one ever used channels. Going to another channel is the same as isolating yourself. You might as well not come into the chat.
I think channels would only be useful if they are able to be separately hosted by individuals. Chatters never had more than a couple at a time active, but I think more would pop up if people could host them themselves. That was the plan for the new Chatters, anyways.

I'm not sure if I'll ever recode Chatters. I've kind of lost the programming bug as of late. I'm not opposed to releasing the sources I have thus far, though. Minus any proprietary code, of course.
I just uploaded what I had done so far for the recode of The Chatters Network. You can download it here: (The Chatters_src.zip [234.3 KB]). Feel free to use any or all of it as a basis for your own programs, or as a foundation for a shared open-source project (it's original purpose).
BYOND Chat is a zeta rip.
Thanks Xooxer! Alathon and I were tinkering with some ideas along the lines of the Chatters Network. I am sure what you've doen so far could be useful to his efforts!

Hope things are doing well for you, otherwise! We miss ya!

byond://digitalbyond.net:6002 is the current popular chat system.
Xooxer wrote:
I think channels would only be useful if they are able to be separately hosted by individuals. Chatters never had more than a couple at a time active, but I think more would pop up if people could host them themselves. That was the plan for the new Chatters, anyways.

I had that thought as well. It works out really well too, people can download and host their own games, with the new Daemon they can easily use it for development purposes and block anyone they don't want to enter.

That's the Chat Model I'm using for Tibbius Chat. Given the Wiznet Administration system (provided Mobius gets the answer to the question he asked) it should be pretty well done to keep out trolls from one or all servers: "Global Bans - Do you want to use bans other channel hosts have put into effect?".

I think I'll make it work that the "Who" verb will send out a request to a central PHP server, which will then send out a request for players listing from all servers, and pass it back to the original server. Probably cache the results and update it every five minutes or something.
I just made a chat, but I have no idea how to enter it into this contest.

Sorry if I seem like an idiot, but..

How do I enter my chat into the contest?

http://www.byond.com/games/The_Jaxx/UberChat
I think you just did. Yeah, digi should make things a bit more clear.
sorry! i'll fix the original blog post to show where to submit your entries.
Ack, I thought I asked this earlier, but it looks like I didn't. What's the deadline on this contest? Chatty's almost finished, minus some code-cleanup (evil open-source prying eyes) and interface finishing.
post updated with deadline.
bears....beets....battle star gallactica
Bud_er-cup wrote:
bears....beets....battle star gallactica

you....are....a moron! and a troll!

oh, and banned for posting stupidities on this blog.

It's been exactly a month, and I'm still the only one to actually submit an entry.

What's up with that?

BTW, this is The_Jaxx. I'm just using an alt.
Guess that means... you win by default! As soon as digitalBYOND hosting goes back online, I'll send you your prize.

Congrats!
Page: 1 2