ID:39551

You're probably wondering why I'm making a blog post on how awesome toothpaste is. I mean all it does really is help prevent you from getting teeth that are like that of a English fellow, har har just kidding?... or am I?

Anyways there's one other functionality to toothpaste other than keeping your teeth in working order, which I will get too after I tell the story of the my Rainbow Six Vegas game.

So Rainbow Six: Vegas, a tactical first-person-shooter on the xbox, pc, and PS3, and probably one of the better shooters out there. Actually it's probably my favorite shooter on the xbox360 thus far. I got it over a year ago, and after a few months of play disaster struck and my xbox 'ate' the disc. Those unfamiliar with a problem that usually affects launch model xbox 360s, but has gone unnoticed because of the RRoD problems just watch this video - http://dwl.xbox-scene.com/video/Xbox-360-Scratch-Disks3.wmv.

Yeah something like that happened to my Rainbow Six Vegas disc, but not as bad. I also didn't moved the system. It just sort of randomly happened.

So I figured it was useless to try and fix the disc using those disc fixing kits you can buy, and I couldn't return the game because it was a Christmas gift, and the person who bought lost the receipt. Anyways I just sort of put the game and it's box and forgot about it - never actually throwing it away. I guess you can probably start to put together at this point why I'm saying toothpaste is awesome.

So last night a bunch of my friends were playing Rainbow Six Vegas, and I was instantly reminded of that stupid scratched disc - and then a thought occurred to me that did not occur a year go: using google to see if there was anyway to fix damaged CDs for free basically. After some searching I found out the best stuff is apparently Brasso, but since my house didn't have any brasso I kept searching until I found something quite interesting: use normal toothpaste.

I sort of took a double take - "toothpaste? Surely you jest Internet," but I figured "what the hell?" so I spent nearly 3 hours rubbing the scratched area of the disc with toothpaste and then washing it off. I put the disc down to try and went to bed because it was like 3am at that time and I was tired.

The next morning, this morning actually, I woke up and put my disc in - surely toothpaste wouldn't work, right? I put the disc in and my xbox started loading it. The screen went black for like a minute, an awfully long loading time for booting a disc up or getting a disc-read error, so I figured the xbox is just struggling to load it. Then it happens the music plays, and the opening trailer starts to play - I stat there staring at my TV screen for a couple of minutes. Even then I was completely convinced it was fixed enough to be playable, after all I had discs in the past that could be loaded up tot he loading screen and still not work, so I decided to load the first level - and it worked.

So there we go, Toothpaste can remove huge scratches from your damaged DVDs and CDs. How awesome is that?
Yep its cool; I learned that some years ago from a "multiple uses for household items" type book. Not like I have to use it since I keep my discs in perfect condition, but it has helped a few of my buddies out.
maggeh's blogs are always the best. <3
forshure
I just told my friend this (I'm at his house using his computer right now) out of surprise, and his reply was, "I know. I've used it before." Kind of a let down on my part, as I was hoping for a surprised look. =(
So...JROTC helps me out in real life: I have like a gallon's worth of nearly empty BRASSO containers around my house...Halo is getting a spiff up
I found that wood furniture wax works really well as well. You just have to make sure you clean it enough or the wax will build up on the laser.
Rape.
Zoidberg3323 wrote:
Rape.

Go to hell
Calebatom wrote:
Zoidberg3323 wrote:
Rape.

Go to hell

haha