ID:40361

I don't understand it. Why are there so many games claiming to have roleplay value when all the roleplay is doing is keeping people from killing each other the minute they see themselves? A prime example of this is SS13. Sure, it has lots of opportunities to roleplay, but all anyone does is secretly compile their own bomb rig, or start that dead body collection they've wanted since they were little. In Cow RP, this isn't quite as bad. However, most of your time is spent either planting, hunting, or running back and forth, which leaves little time to roleplay.

But let me get back to the core of this problem: the community. We have about... oh, 30, 50 maybe, small children who love to roleplay. That would be fine, of course, if they knew how to do it. But they don't. Most of their time is spent clicking a bunch of stuff over and over and over, be it a person, to attack them, an object, to destroy it, or a miscellaneous verb. They don't care if someone dies. They do nothing if they see a dead body laying in a corridor, or even out in the open, decomposing and being slowly devoured by carrion. Now, see, this is the thing that bugs me: if you're walking down the street, and you see a dead body, you don't just say 'Huh.' and keep walking: you scream! You lose your breath! You call the authorities! You do NOT pass it off as a common occurrence! Okay, sure, so you've seen a couple dozen bodies, and you stop caring. But that doesn't mean you stop caring when you kill someone. Ask a soldier what it feels like to kill someone, and they won't tell you that it feels exhilarating. They will tell you something along the lines of it feeling like their soul had been torn in two, or that they nearly lost their breakfast.

"omg but Pseu it's just a game lol!" Sure it is. But you see, when you play a role (roleplay), you are pretending to be someone else entirely. A living, breathing organism that has emotions. Not a two-dimensional representation of a person. That means that you wouldn't just watch someone die and keep walking like you had seen nothing. Or that you would be able to walk as strong as a full-grown ox if you hadn't eaten for days, or you are nearing death.

Another thing that annoys me is the general immaturity of the roleplay community. If they don't like something, they stab it. If someone has food and they don't, they stab them, and loot them. If there is a toolbox in the hall, and the captain doesn't have his armor on, sure enough, it only takes 5 seconds for the him to have died. What's more, they do not have a sense of chain of command. Two devoted, honest guardians of a king would attack him if he chose to punish the only woman in the game for killing five people. Hell, they would kill him just for his overpowered weapon. In reality, you would not kill someone just because they have more than you do. You kill if it is a time of famine or harsh, unforgiving war, and your family is starving. You don't kill the king because he's making a bad decision in your eyes. Of course, you wouldn't think that, because you've never suffered a true monarchy in your life time, and probably never will. But you could at least put the tiniest of efforts in to thinking from your character's perspective, not your own.

In short, I don't know how you can call what you do roleplay. You don't play a role, you just kill for the worthless virtual stuff on the guy.

And you wonder why you don't have a girlfriend.
One ring to rule them all...
Mikau wrote:
One ring to rule them all...

One ring to find them, one ring to bring them and in darkness bind them, in the land of BYOND where the children slit their wrists.

But how does this apply, exactly?
"Roleplayers" on BYOND are basically a joke.
I tried playing CowRP once, not even a minute after logging in someone accused me of having a "non-RP name" (Snusmoomriken), funnily enough, there were people with names like "Naruto_19288" in the game. I proceeded to point out that I was RPing as a cow, not a level 24 epic half-dragon dragonslayer (the person who accused me of having a non-RP like name looked like they stole their name from someones D&D character, I forget the name, but it began with A and the second name had Dragon in it).
For pointint out the person had an equally unsuitable name as me I was accused of being a "griefer", to which I replied "Well, you smell". This person turned out to be the king, and being the excellent anarchist that I am I proceeded to build me a secret base and start a rebellion army to rebel against the king (but obviously, this was even more "griefing" on my part). By now the person was trying to get me banned and before me and my army managed to overthrow this corrupt king the game was rebooted :[ (Which seems to happen every 10 minutes)
After like... 2 more games (which again only lasted 10 minutes) I was banned for no apparent reason!

Spacestation 13 wasn't much better, half of the players would basically shout "GRIEF!!!" at a few people, and the rest just didn't even have a clue what was going on or what to do and just did anything.

Lets put it this way. I will probably be avoiding those games from now on. Not because they are bad games, but because they have a bad player base (REALLY bad at that).

But... I think the worst game I played happened a few years ago. I can't remember the games name, and I doubt it exists anymore, but it was a Harvest Moon game.
Lets put it this way, during the course of the game I had someone with a frog fetish try and cyber with me AND some gay guy got it into his head that it was ok to molest me... Hahaha, good times, good times!

If good roleplayers exist on BYOND... I have never seen them.
That's because all the good roleplayers on BYOND don't roleplay here because the community is childish.

Oh, and Bawb. It applies because I just finished watching Clerks 2, and you mentioned someone not being able to get a girlfriend.

"Hey Randall... one ring to rule them all."
"...and you wonder why no chick will let you stick your cock in her."
"I never wondered that..."
"Yeah, cause you accepted that you would never get a chick a long time ago."
"I can get chicks left and right."
"Your chicks are your left and right."
The Magic Man wrote:
If good roleplayers exist on BYOND... I have never seen them.

I consider myself a good roleplayer, however, the problem stems from the general immaturity of the community and lack of proper moderation and gameplay mechanics.

I think that part of it is also that, aside from HrH, there hasn't been a long-running and appropriate atmosphere for 'for srs' roleplay. At least, graphical games. There are things like TextMUD and such that have decent roleplayers, but obviously the text interface can be a turn-off and some GMs aren't very good at what they do.
BLN is a good example of most of this.
"if you're walking down the street, and you see a dead body, you don't just say 'Huh."

Unless you live where I do.
I don't, I say "Haha, you're dead and not me. I win." Then I keep walking.
please tell me wh i was banned from yuour ss13 server
To you this is a joke, a game, to me I use to study into this crap seriously for Role Play use.

I use to RP on a pseudo-professional level, as in we had to take into account the laws of physics into everything we did.
Propaganda wrote:
To you this is a joke, a game, to me I use to study into this crap seriously for Role Play use.

I use to RP on a pseudo-professional level, as in we had to take into account the laws of physics into everything we did.

Hah, Latoma quote. Im glad im not the only one who loved that serious business.
I wonder why none the BLN or Finale roleplayers are here defending themselves? ;) I play Finale, but certainly not for the roleplaying (which I avoid when I can).
Oh no, here come the Anime kids...
Kataharo Tayoko wrote:
"if you're walking down the street, and you see a dead body, you don't just say 'Huh."

No.
Rugg wrote:
Kataharo Tayoko wrote:

No.

He's right you know.

I agree with you, but shan't we set our standards too high.

A quality role player is indeed a rare find.