ID:40393

So, deciding I want to finally beat Half-life 2, and play Episodes 1 and 2, I borrowed my friend's steam account to play them. So yeah installed Half-life 2, played it no problems. Then came Episode 1.

It installed and loaded up fine, but then when I went to start a new game - it occurred. First the game crashed back to desktop, but I noticed I had a program pop-up that had just come up, so I figured that was the problem. Turned off that program and restarted up half-life 2. Then it loaded without sound!

Starting to get annoyed I exited out and rebooted the computer. The 3rd time I loaded the game it loaded up a bunch of graphical glitches such as the opening text being scrambled, and then it would crashed with this error - Engine Error "Internal Driver error in IDirect3DDevice9::Present()"

Apparently I wasn't the only person with this problem. It would appear ATI cards don't play nice with the game, and I just spent the 2 hours or so messing around with possible solutions to get the game to work, and none of them worked.

I finally gave up, I really don't think there's a way to get this game to work on my PC. So I'm asking does anything worthwhile happen in the game? Because for some odd reason Half-life 2: Episode 2 works, and I'm probably just going to end up skipping Episode 1 if I can't get it to work.
I pirated the game and had no problems.

=)
Well like I said it's apparently a problem with ATI cards.
Nvidia > ATI.
Sounds like a DirectX9 issue. Did you update DX9 to the latest redist?
Uchiha Kai Itachi wrote:
Sounds like a DirectX9 issue. Did you update DX9 to the latest redist?

Of course It's up to date. My drivers are up to date too.
I did some searching, and might have found a way to fix it. Do you by chance have AVG installed on your computer? If you do, it seems somehow to interfere with the game somehow. (If you do, uninstall AVG.)
Uchiha Kai Itachi wrote:
I did some searching, and might have found a way to fix it. Do you by chance have AVG installed on your computer? If you do, it seems somehow to interfere with the game somehow. (If you do, uninstall AVG.)

Hmm I didn't see anything mentioned about AVG when I was doing my searching for the error in question. I guess I could try it later.
Bottom Line of the game:
It sucks.

Nothing important happens. Well uh, you loose the SUPER Gravity Gun. And... you escape from City 17 half a second before the Citadel explodes.

That's it. <:/
Gooseheaded wrote:
Bottom Line of the game:
It sucks.

No, it fucking rocks. It may be my least favorite of HL2, E1, and E2 so far, but it's still amazing.
Popisfizzy wrote:
Gooseheaded wrote:
Bottom Line of the game:
It sucks.

No, it fucking rocks. It may be my least favorite of HL2, E1, and E2 so far, but it's still amazing.

It didnt introduce anything new, and it was not fun.
Yes it was.
I played Half-Life 2 for the first time two days ago, it went without a hitch on my ATi X800.