Liens wrote:
Wow, someone forgot their anti-depressants.. Why do you have to rain on my parade like that?

Because your 'parade' was unrealistic and greedy.

I'd be like, "Hell yes please!"

Right up to the point where you smash into a wall or into someone else because they didn't have time to attach the brakes yet.

...your heart lacks the joyousness to appreciate such love.

Being 2-3 times your age, I suspect I can appreciate it far better than you since I've done more in my lifetime in several parts of the world.

But this is not the point. You fail to grasp that HM has always taken her time to get things (mostly) right before revealing it to the unwashed masses.

You disrespect her by thinking that it's her job to entertain you, to give you your 'fix' because you think you have the right to get it.

...you have just announced that Hedgemistress is all those things!

Not at all. She is a mature adult with a profession she is passionate in pursuing that is far more important that BYOND. It is understandable that her gaming developments will take time. She is somewhat of a perfectionist (in a good sense, mind you).

...posting takes all of 5 minutes and that's for a long post...

That's a lot of time to write code, actually. I've been known to crank out dozens of lines of PHP code in the span of 5-6 minutes, much from off the top of my head. 5 minutes here and there and poof: there's a game after a week or two of effort.

For a game as potentially complex as HrH, she may prefer to set aside dedicated time. And that time has not come yet.

Your 'gimme my fix!' attitude can only drive her away (again). I know it annoyed her quite a bit when people did that during the original HrH development, and likely helped contribute to it's premature demise.

I would hate to see people like you be the cause of this project's stoppage too.

I look forward to seeing this game go online, but I won't be demanding anything from her. It will come when it comes.
You're missing the point completely... you couldn't -be- further from the point in fact, I haven't 'demanded' anything and I certainly haven't demanded that she do work on it. In fact I already stated that I didn't care if she was working on it or not! The point is, the game -is- playable and is fun to play at that. No one is going to die because the game is not yet complete, it's not a matter of life and death, it's an incomplete game. Nothing more, nothing less. Can't you understand how frustrating it is to -know- that the game is playable, having played it before and know that it once again could in fact be played, only to find out that it can't?

I'm not saying work should be done on it, I'm saying the existing game should be hosted, what difference is it going to make if it's hosted or not? The ONLY problem I ever had with the game was that the characters kept getting wiped every day but that won't happen if it's hosted and then not updated until it's finished, so why not? Why is it such a big deal??

But in the end you'll probably just miss the point once again, because you're one of those impossible people who can't see it any other way than their own so I'm just going to stop arguing with you because you're just too great and mighty for me, with your super advanced sage-like infinite wisdom, which apparently is due to age, of which you have been so gracious as to bestow a small fraction upon myself and no doubt countless 'unworthy' others.

Your argument has opened my eyes and given me new hope. Hope, that one day, I too may truly ascend and become as great and as all-knowledgeable as yourself.
I know that it would be going against a wonderful and colourful history of flame wars, but may I suggest that both parties take a breath and cease the attempt at communication?

I, for one, am very excited to hear that Lexy isn't as dead as I had come to believe her to be, and that the overall quality, longevity, and grammatical standards of the flame wars she inspires are at an all time high.

... and there was much rejoicing.
The whole thread seems to be about digitalmouse overreacting, to me. It's true that Lexy's game is probably dead because she's busy with real life and trying to make writing a lifestyle, not a hobby. BYOND is a hobby that could never be turned into a lifestyle. But digitalmouse appears to be mistaking overzealous enthusiasm for whining.
Liens babbles:
...I'm not saying work should be done on it, I'm saying the existing game should be hosted, what difference is it going to make if it's hosted or not?

I understood your point completely - I fear it is you that missed mine.

It makes a HUGE difference if the game is hosted or not. Why would anyone host a game that is broken and/or unfinished when the developer does not have the time to be available to work on it. This always leads to whining and complaining about the state of the game.

The original graphical version of HrH had several issues and bugs that created advantages/disadvantages over other players. People also abused OOC and chat, and were general nuisances when not following the rules and guidelines for roleplaying set forth by Lexy/Hedgemistress.

That's not a playable game by any stretch of the imagination.

The text-only (or limited graphics) version mentioned in this blog is not likely in a state that is playable just yet (and if it is, it's only available to trusted individuals for private testing). I doubt she would host it until she is available on-hand to work on it, and get feedback from people.

Leon gargled:
The ONLY problem I ever had with the game was that the characters kept getting wiped every day but that won't happen if it's hosted and then not updated until it's finished, so why not? Why is it such a big deal??

Because that is not how game development works. You host it, discover bugs, fix bugs, host again, discover bugs, fix bugs, host again, etc. etc., until you (and in theory, your player base) is happy with the result. You don't just host a game, then leave the broken one online until all known bugs are fixed. That's unrealistic and shortsighted, not to mention ignoring the fact that bug fixes may expose other bugs later on.

Leroy burbles:
...you're one of those impossible people who can't see it any other way than their own so I'm just going to stop arguing...

Good, because you weren't actually arguing in the first place. Just crying that you needed your fix.

You obviously don't know me very well, otherwise you'd realize the foot in your mouth is your own. I am far from one-sided in knowing how the software development cycle (even as a hobby) functions. You just don't host crap because some people want it that way. Lexy does have standards, thank goodness, and we should be respecting them. Not pestering her.

Loopy barks:
Your argument has opened my eyes and given me new hope.

Your attempt at cheesy sarcasm only weakens your side of the discussion. I'm not all-knowing, and never claim to be. If anything, I'm helpful to everyone as long as they have a few braincells and common-sense to rub together.

And while I do understand your enthusiasm (as Jtgibson points out), you need to understand that game development does not work the way you think it does. At least not very well. And certainly not in any successful capacity.

It will be far better for everyone that Lexy takes as long as she needs to get the game right. It is *her* game after all, something that people tend to forget.
I have to say it, I have HRH's last graphical version and yoooou don't. And no, I won't host it.
Nadrew wrote:
I have to say it, I have HRH's last graphical version and yoooou don't. And no, I won't host it.

I do too...somewhere...on a dusty CD...in the back of my CD case...

And Lexy expressly asked that I not host it anymore. Nyaa-nyaa!

Hey Lexy,

It good to hear that you're focused on writing. I'm also excited to hear that some work has progressed on Hedgerow Hall. It was an amazing work that you created, and still, after all these years, have an active fan base for. Thanks for putting in the effort to bring a little happiness to some people through your games. =D

-- Rena (AKA Star_Angel)
Hey mistress,

You prolly don't remember me, I played ALOT when you had this game up and running and for some reason i still remember my characters name, it was Darstar which he was a badger that could do magic, and which that could not speak. I have been off and on with Beyond due to the fact that i have a laptop and do not have a numpad but i will buy one eventually, but I am glad to hear that your still working on this because this game meant a lot to me and when it went down i was kind of depressed for some reason though i wanted to check and see if they still had the listing of this game and well they did and i was glad to hear your up to some of your old ways. I was a teenager whenever you started so idk since then i haven't seen a game i like as much as this one so yeah there you go
Sorry to bug ya, but the HrH forums are inaccessible. If you have the time, you might wanna look into that.
I-Aryn-I wrote:
Sorry to bug ya, but the HrH forums are inaccessible. If you have the time, you might wanna look into that.

Which forums are you talking about? If you are referring to the original forums hosted at digitalBYOND, then you need to get with the times- those haven't been online for several years.

digitalmouse wrote:
I-Aryn-I wrote:

Which forums are you talking about? If you are referring to the original forums hosted at digitalBYOND, then you need to get with the times- those haven't been online for several years.

The ones that're linked to on the hub page.

Those types of forums are no longer provided by BYOND. So the HRH forums at that location are no longer avaliable.
I've been trying to learn programming myself, but it just isn't that simple. Might be easy if i bought the blue book but other than that... I pretty much have to learn it by hand by putting things togher.. and they don't always work togher well enough with the other coding you do, so until i find a more easy way.. you might want her to come back. Keep in mind though, people do still have the full verison of Hrh which could be hosted. Secondly i've offered to sponser her before so I doubt her having a job is the issue. So.. the one thing to mainly keep in mind is that the game was never exactly finished. Hrh has is no primary objective. It's like having the blue prints of a really good game that has the basis of doing what a good rpg game needs but then its like no you can do what you mostly want but not all you want to. Because you never got anywhere in the game from its leveling system. Say she did rehost Hrh or made a new verison of the game, don't you think the roleplaying rules would just cause issues like last time, or be even more strict. The game was fun because people could do Mostly whatever they wanted, but if you had rules like you have to roleplay before doing anything just not going to be as fun. Image playing a game that had really good ecomony but had no use for it all. Though hrh has pvp and you can make some of your own jobs its small compaired to what it could be. Like say for instance there was rules to the forest the animals could part take. Example would be a forest patrol or a ranger. Jobs that would need to be achieved just like the leveling system. Though keep in mind that could competely ruin the game ... alot... .... ... if she just handed it over to her friends. It'd be messed up... power over the forest. Nobody would want to play. Though a good idea would be to add daily jobs like a mailman, those jobs can be little fun and add more to the good and make a better relationships between the animals. Also adding mailboxs for burrows maybe have mail drop down into your burrow. Sounds kinda sweet doesn't it.
Azel, go to your room. Now.

Or if you're already there... well, uh... Damnit.
Azel babbled:
...People still do have the old Hrh full verison which could be hosted.

Nope, ain't gonna happen. She specifically asked me not to host it for various reason. So unless she has a change of heart, you are basically out of luck until she comes back with the new version or allows us to host the old version.

OR you can try to make your own based on HrH-type gameplay.
I have a special thank you all prepared, but due to a slightly personal nature, I would prefer to send it in via email. If anyone could direct me to Lexy's email, I would GREATLY appreciate it.
try her homepage. there may be some contact info there.

edit: ..or not! but if you dig around http://www.talesofmu.com/story/ you might find some contact info, perhaps via the forum, if you ask nicely.
Lexy has a more general site about herself as well. That said, she seems pretty focused on her writing so try not to bother her if it's a game-related issue.
I did not find an email yet, but I haven't tried her forums. :P Got distracted when I started reading Void Dogs. It is great, love it! Great work Lexy! You done good. :) Very good.
Page: 1 2 3