ID:41489

Keywords: contest
Build Your Own Board Game!

The contest is to create a board game for at least two players.

It may be similar to existing board games, but its title, graphics, sound, and all other resources should be original content created for this game.

Tokens or cards (or stones, or similar components appropriate to board games) may be played upon the map or moved around it during the game. A player's inventory, tokens, cards, scores, and other information may be displayed in additional panes as appropriate.

The game should use some BYOND 4.0 layout controls rather than relying on the default BYOND layout behavior.

The gameplay should not depend on quick reflexes, though timed turns are permissible within reason.

You may choose any subject matter you like, but the content should be capable of earning a "Teen" or less severe rating from the ESRB (see http://www.esrb.org/ratings/ratings_guide.jsp).

A Help file is not necessary, but at any given point in play, the player should have no trouble understanding what is expected of him. For example, at the start of a player's turn, you might display a message like this: "You may now move any or all of your armies to an adjoining territory by clicking the army and then clicking the target territory. An army will turn gray when you have moved it. To undo any army's move, double-click it. When your are done, click the END TURN button."

For people who have played it before and are familiar with it, a typical session of the game should be playable in 20 minutes or less, though of course some sessions may go longer.

Prizes are $30, $20, and $10. To receive a prize you, or your designated representative, must be capable of receiving PayPal transactions. Fewer prizes, or none, may be awarded if the judges determine there are insufficient entries worthy of prizes.

Deadline is end-of-day Wednesday, May 14, 2008.

Source code need not be provided, but the winners must permit Dream Makers to make the game (at least in the version submitted) available for download to the public (or the private).

Further information, including where to submit entries, will be provided as the contest progresses. Submit any questions in the comments to this post.

[UPDATE 2008-0421: You can send entries to my email account, gtellgtell care of hotmail.com. Put "contest" somewhere in the subject line so I don't miss it! Also see the comments below for additional info.]
Hmm, interesting. I might just have a shot at this.
This is the type of competition that I've been dreaming of. BYOND doesn't have loads of board games as it is and with a bit of luck this contest will help bring some in. I without a doubt will try and create a game for this.

Questions:
Can we use libraries?
Can we submit multiple entries?
Can we use graphics avaliable to the public?
What is the exact definition of a board game, would Ultimatum be considered one sort of?
I did have a board game mostly done, but I planned on reworking the mechanics, which'd've been a major overhaul. On top of it all, it's on my laptop, which is dead until I can get a new adapter.
I want to enter, but I can't make my own graphics or sounds. Can we use public resources?
Can't guarantee I'll enter, but sounds like lots of fun!
Can we use libraries?

If they're in the public domain or you have permission to use them (and can prove it), and aren't infringement on someone else's copyright (e.g., "public domain" icons of Naruto characters), certainly.

Can we submit multiple entries?

Sure!

Can we use graphics avaliable to the public?

Same as for libraries -- yes, if the creator is OK with it. This applies to sounds as well.

What is the exact definition of a board game, would Ultimatum be considered one sort of?

I'd think so. I tried to make the rules pretty broad. Ideally, you should be able to make your own pieces/cards/whatever and play the same game around a table with friends, with no computers involved.
Sounds interesting, for one of my GCSE subjects I had to make an actual original board game so I could apply the same concept here... Of course I would have to make it fast paced.
Wow, nice prizes. Just might enter; I have yet to even attempt to make a board game so it'd be kind of a challenge. :D
Are we able to use games that we have already created? I have games like Exploder, that is near complete anyway and runs perfectly fine, but I still need to alter things to make it more BYOND 4.0ish. Would altering that to conform to the contest rules be allowed? Or does it have to be a new game entirely from scratch?
"When your are done, click the END TURN button."

Proof that the almighty hunter of Gugs is in fact fallible!

When you say "board game", are you limiting it to games like The Game of Life, Risk, and Monopoly, or could more esoteric things be in place? Would Last Robot Standing count as a board game for purposes of this contest?

[edit] I see Ultimatum gets a "yes", below, so I'm mollified now.
Okay, i'm officially entering :D
[Edit] Will there be a site or forums or something to submit our game's hub?
http://www.byond.com/games/ChibiGohan0/ByondParty
Now my history project from last year can hit BYOND! The Game of War, coming to a BYOND near you!
Jeff8500 wrote:
Now my history project from last year can hit BYOND! The Game of War, coming to a BYOND near you!

Rofl. I had the same history project a couple years ago I think. I can't even remember how I did it though unfortunately.

Anyways, count me in :P
In lieu of first or second place, could we get a membership instead?
Mr.Tophat wrote:
In lieu of first or second place, could we get a membership instead?

No problem!
Chibi-Gohan0 wrote:
Okay, i'm officially entering :D
[Edit] Will there be a site or forums or something to submit our game's hub?
http://www.byond.com/games/ChibiGohan0/ByondParty

You can send it to my email account, gtellgtell care of hotmail.com. Put "contest" somewhere in the subject line so I don't miss it!
Acebloke wrote:
Are we able to use games that we have already created? I have games like Exploder, that is near complete anyway and runs perfectly fine, but I still need to alter things to make it more BYOND 4.0ish. Would altering that to conform to the contest rules be allowed? Or does it have to be a new game entirely from scratch?

Well, since we already have some pretty restrictive rules (making the game available for download, playable in average time of 20 minutes, etc.), I'd say it's OK to submit 4.0-ized versions of existing games, if they haven't previously won any BYOND contests.
does it have to be 20 minutes max? i was thinking maby 30. ^_^;
Chibi-Gohan0 wrote:
does it have to be 20 minutes max? i was thinking maby 30. ^_^;

You could include variable victory conditions (or something similar) so that the host can choose a longer game, but the basic game with default settings should follow the 20-minute average.
Page: 1 2 3