ID:41673

At the request of Foomer and a very valid suggestion, i have decided to remove the scoring metric from the reviews. Now in concept these were a nice feature however people thought that reviews needed to be comparable and graded in some scientific way, and this was never the point. The score was never supposed to mean much of anything other than the reviewers opinion of what areas are strong and which are weak, a 10-9-4, overall 8 might imply that the game was very high quality but one area brought down the overall enjoyment. It is understandable that this feature was misunderstood as some sort of actual measurement, and often reviews which were beneficial with pros/cons and pictures were received poorly simply because the author of such had a more conservative/liberal idea of how scoring should be, whether or not it should be based on a byond average or just a potential for a byond game rating or what. Anyway I think this is the right decision because i really want to get back to reading reviews for constructive criticism, fair praise and a nice convenient peek in to a game for curious new players.
Seems fair.
Imo its not a true review without a score.

Would be better if people just wrote a blurb about why they selected the value for each.

Guess people will just have to type their grades out rather than having the bars.
I think you should also make unified review template for people to use, and then ask everyone who's done a review to maybe re-do their reviews in that format.

The reviews posted so far have literally ranged from one paragraph to like 10 pages, and a template people would have to use would make it easier for you to sort through reviews, and may actually produce a larger average of better written reviews.
yeah and ive wanted to do that maggeh, if somebody wanted to write one id use it but right now im too busy studying to be doing stuff like that.
There should be a sepperate rating section, then.
Like somewhere on the game its hub where the 'player' can give the score about it, and that it's some kinda poll.

Just an idea, though.
Sokkiejjj wrote:
There should be a sepperate rating section, then.
Like somewhere on the game its hub where the 'player' can give the score about it, and that it's some kinda poll.

Just an idea, though.

unfortunately byond isnt large enough to be able to do that, an individual could convince enough people to seriously impact the rating of a game and that kind of makes such a system useless unfortunately. When byond gets more popular i would like to see a 1-5 rating scale similar to how newgrounds works, and a possibility to filter out which games you see based on score.
Thanks for the reply. I see why it cannot be inplemented.
I think that's smart. Usually, people who wrote more literate reviews tended to be much more conservative with their points, whereas people who wrote reviews to rave about a game often gave it a huge score without backing it up in any way. Thus, the games with good reviews often wouldn't seem as good. At least now, people can read the review for themselves and make their own opinions.