ID:418370

BYOND Version:493
Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Web Browser:Firefox 6.0
Applies to:Dream Maker

This issue may be low priority or very difficult to fix, and has been put on the back burner for the time being.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
The skin editor in Dream Maker does not obey large window dimensions and the GUI always displays the resize border. Dream Maker forces the window to fit within the screen resolution AND gets the calculation wrong to boot!

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
  1. Create a skin.
  2. Edit a window.
  3. Turn off Options->Resize.
  4. In the General tab, set the dimensions equal or greater than the current screen resolution. I try to use 1280x720 skins when my monitor displays 1280x1024.
  5. Choose OK or Update so the window is set.
This can also occur if opening a window with an already large size. (I tried closing DM and then using a text editor, but Dream Maker still smushed the window when it got its grubby hands on it again.)

Expected Results:
There should be a 1280x720 window with no border. Even if the GUI chooses to display a border, the dimensions input should be obeyed. Positioning and anchoring controls should be safe to do with math based on the dimensions input. The developer should be obeyed!

Actual Results:
The GUI displays a resize border. Only the resize corner was toggled. The window is smaller than the dimensions set. (I tend to get 1272x720.) All of the developer's math for internal control positions and anchors will be wrong because the dimensions are wrong. When run, the border will be gone, but the window dimensions will still be incorrect.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? This happens every time.
In other games? It occurs in every project I have tried.
On other computers? I only have 1.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked?
Unfortunately, I've put off reporting this for so long that the number of versions to check seems insurmountable. This is definitely pre-493. As far as I know, this has been happening for ages. However, I always used smaller resolutions so I didn't notice until more recent games. I kept thinking I'd make a report when one was done, but I kept getting distracted by libraries and columns. Sorry =(

Workarounds:
I've been trying to cut my dimensions in half and then double the size when logging in. I think it works, but it doesn't solve Dream Maker's usability issue.
Bump
I suppose disabling the resizable border could be allowed (DM leaves it on for usability reasons), but I think there's an aspect of this that's unavoidable. To prevent giant windows that completely take over the screen, the window control always forcibly constrains its external dimensions to the "work area" (screen size minus task bar). I guess my question on this would be how to avoid letting the window get too big to manage while still preserving useful big-window editing.
Lummox JR changed status to 'Deferred'