ID:419936

Well, now that I see the "Introduce Yourself" under "Off-topic" in the forum I think its a good time to introduce myself properly. I speak Spanish and English, but, seriously, I mostly speak Spanish, so, if you see grammatical errors just let them be or let me know xD. I've joined BYOND on April 5, 2005, thinking this was only a place where you can just play games and stuff, didn't actually know you were able to make games of your own (maybe cause I wasn't that interested in reading stuff around). Oh well, since at that time (also right now, lol) I was into Pokemon, and went visited many Pokemon games around BYOND at that time. And then, it came to my attention on how to use the DreamMaker. So, for a start, I tried reading the Help guide that comes with the software....but I was like "WTF is this???". It occurred to me to download a source of a famous Pokemon game those times, you probably know which game it is.

I saw that coding and learned for myself how to code basic stuff. Then, from basic stuff, I deleted the current battle system that source had and made a new one, very glitchy, but at least I made it. So, all right. I already knew a few people around like Fire Leana, which told me I needed to choose a name for the game... and we named it after The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess... so we called it Pokemon Twilight! Even thought the game only received a few players a day for those moments it was nice, people were nice but inside of me I knew I could do more!

While having Pokemon Twilight in my power, I tried making a few demos messing with icons and warping codings, new for me, lol. And made two demo games like World of Union and Icon Hub, which were terrible games!!! But at least World of Union had a Building System, yay! But anyway!!

Then I thought that's not exactly what I wanted, so I gave Pokemon Twilight to its current owner, and went on to do things nobody else didn't do in coding (I thought to myself). So, then I made Pokemon Highlight!. Pokemon Highlight was using a complete original source made from scratch by myself. It was some-what a success around a small community of people. It was a turn-based RPG with random battles, and has a great and awesome story-line! The only flaw at those times was that the game's icons weren't that good and when you finished the story-line at level 100 the player had nothing else to do but just leave and quit the game.

Well, since PH was dead I made a second PH sequel, PH2: Pokemon Palladium. Another disaster. 1 thing I've learn in BYOND is that if you want some good and new coding people around haven't seen before, you have to make it easy for yourself to make them. That's why probably the same people who enjoyed Pokemon Highlight didn't probably enjoyed PH2 Pokemon Palladium. Oh well, I gave up on it.

The same has happens with a few games I try to make. And I never finish develop a game because I think a game needs features and things that everybody can enjoy and play for years (sometimes even without updating it).

It came to the idea on teaching BYOND DM coding to a small community close to where I live. I'm currently teaching them the basic stuff, like: "what are the basic difference between mob, obj, turf and area". Also "what's the main difference between mob and client". Actually, there's new people to the community that are slow at learning but hey! Nothing's impossible!!! At least, that's what people thing. At least I'm happy to take some time of my life (since I work, study, I have to take care of my own bills) to teach these people DM programming. Also, there are a few others that already know how to code a few new things and that's proof that BYOND will probably be growing in the future.

That's, right now, the best I can do to contribute to BYOND. We are currently being having meeting because we are in making of a game that I think it will be great! No details will be posted at this time because its in its early developing. But soon I may announce something about it!!

Oh sheesh! I think I've made a pretty long post... I just wanted to say I've never introduced myself to the BYOND community and now I did. And I will be cooperating to BYOND in every possible way.

Thanks for taking your time to read this, and my apologies if this just bored you, hehehe.

--peace--
Nice story. I am always happy when people use DM/BYOND as a learning tool. Best of luck.
I was sleepy last night when I posted this and I now noticed it has tons of typos.

And thanks for taking the time to read this.
Nice. Well, everyone always have issues when doing first game. I've made lot of things and left the projects (But i still plan them, no? :P). I also Speak Spanish.

Good luck! ^^
Thanks for your support!! I really appreciate it!
Yut Put wrote:
Sounds a lot like me. My first game was a Super Smash Bros themed thingy, but my first public attempt was a Pokemon game. Didn't learn from rips though, 'cause for the first two months I was on BYOND I didn't even know how to use the pager(couldn't play or download games). It is funny because my Pokemon game was based on a rip I was playing at the time but I didn't have a clue what "rips" were, so i just programmed a clone myself from scratch. it hardly worked xD

1 thing I've learn in BYOND is that if you want some good and new coding people around haven't seen before, you have to make it easy for yourself to make them.

though confusing to read at first, very true.

I didn't understand it :(

Anyways, DM isn't a hard language to learn. If you want some hard language try using C++ with the Win32 API. Makes you need to read their reference 3/4 of the times. :( (I raged million of times at Win32 API).
What I actually meant to say is: one thing I've learned is that there's like 5 (just to say a random number) ways to program something, and you'll have to try all those in order to simplify your programming to make it easier and shorter for you.
In response to Blastcore
Blastcore wrote:
Anyways, DM isn't a hard language to learn. If you want some hard language try using C++ with the Win32 API. Makes you need to read their reference 3/4 of the times. :( (I raged million of times at Win32 API).

For me, using BYOND is like a therapy... a hobby. And since I got interested in it I actually learned how to code. Now, C++ I leave it for others. I don't really know if there are slight differences between DM and C++, but I think it actually takes some time to learn and I actually don't have the time for it. No offense, just in case! I just think it's not my thing.

In response to RareScar
RareScar wrote: I don't really know if there are slight differences between DM and C++.

Hehe, no one is telling you to learn C++. Just saying that DM is pretty easy. DM is based of C++. It looks different but it's based of it.
I know, that's why I said "no offense. But seriously... I couldn't make ANYTHING work on C++ lol
I taught myself how to code by looking at Naruto Damon sources? I think that was the name, but anyways . I looked at many other sources and library's , I've actually became a really good programmer now thanks to those sources . People always ask me how I learned to code. & then I tell them , then they're all like " Teach me ! " lol .
In response to Flysbad
Flysbad wrote:
I taught myself how to code by looking at Naruto Damon sources? I think that was the name, but anyways . I looked at many other sources and library's , I've actually became a really good programmer now thanks to those sources . People always ask me how I learned to code. & then I tell them , then they're all like " Teach me ! " lol .

Reading buggy source codes won't make you a good programmer. If you want to learn, either learn by yourself or read the guide.