ID:42179

So you've heard a lot about it, huh? Never gotten around to trying it? Or maybe you have, but it just wasn't your cup of tea.
Well, with the release of Ubuntu Hardy Heron, we here at the Linux Guild encourage you to try it out if you haven't already. It comes in three flavours, depending on your taste in computers.
  • If you want a straight deal that's easily customizable, you should go with the GNOME based distro, Ubuntu.
  • If you're a person for eyecandy and looks, then you should try the KDE based distro, Kubuntu.
  • If you're more of a person who prefers lightweight displays, the Xfce based distro Xubuntu is just right for you!

The best thing about Ubuntu linux, though, is that it's easy to use, and now more easy than ever! This release was designed to bring linux to the masses.

No matter what you choose to do, BYOND Linux Guild forums are available to anyone who needs help or just wishes to discuss something regarding linux.

So, with that, welcome to linux!

(In case you're wondering the timing with my writing this post: whenever Ubuntu releases are first distributed, downloads become really slow. Waiting a few days maximizes download speed.)
I already have the ISO for 8.04 sitting on my desktop, and when I lose the laptop(which is happening in a week or so), I'm going to be reverting back to my old desktop(which is a measly 550mhz processor).

I plan on running Ubuntu 8.04 as my only operating system, so I'll be getting familiar with is fast, as it'll be my only option.
Mikau: Since it is a low powered machine, I recommend Xubuntu. It will run pretty good even on such a slow processor. Ubuntu would struggle with something that light weight.
I'm going to have to deal with Ubuntu until I download Xubuntu and get get the burner working.

The laptop burner is broken. So I'll have to wait until I get that figured out.

[edit]

Until I figure out how to burn the ISO with Ubuntu that is, not the laptop. I'm losing the laptop, so I couldn't care less about it.
I just installed it on a virtual machine yesterday, been meaning to play around with it.
Mikau wrote:
Until I figure out how to burn the ISO with Ubuntu that is, not the laptop. I'm losing the laptop, so I couldn't care less about it.

You could use a USB Jump Drive or SD Card.
http://darkertechnologies.com/notes/2008/01/26/ booting-an-isolinux-livecd-from-eee-pcs-sd-card-reader/
You think that would work with a USB drive? I don't have an SD card.

(I skimmed through and didn't notice them mention USB)
Mikau wrote:
You think that would work with a USB drive? I don't have an SD card.

(I skimmed through and didn't notice them mention USB)

USBs are a standard for booting with any OS, now days. Ubuntu supports it.
Look at the post above this one, you'll find your answer there.