ID:42441

Keywords: community, guild
It's been quite a while since we had a update post about the guild, eh? There's a lot to talk about so here we go.

- First things first, I'd like to bid Monkey a nice big guild (and BYOND for that matter) farewell . We lost a comrade who did a many great things for our most glorious guild. You shall not be forgotten Monkey!

- The second topic for tonight's update is whether or not the guild should keep focusing exclusively on pixel art. We've come to the realization that many people on BYOND use art for their games that isn't pixel art such as Foomer, and we've been thinking about turning the guild into BYOND ART GUILD, or something like that. We've discussed this quite a bit privately in the guild, and I'm now opening the discussion up to the general BYOND public. So tell us what your views are on this.
Topic is here

- There are still some guild contests and collaborations still going on if anyone is interested.
1)Xooxer's bastardly old Operation Collaboration Come on guys it's almost done!
2)Nidaime Hokage's Pixel Brawl Contest
3)The Guild's Turf Set Project Isn't dead yet. It's pretty much ready to roll, though I don't know if anyone is still interested in it. If anyone wants to jump start the project the relevant posts are here and here

- We now have a link to the guild somewhere on the BYOND site! Just look on the right side bar of Dream Makers for the guild link. Alas it isn't much, but people should be able to easily find us now.

- Posting in classified ads section of the guild. Come on guys! Follow the guidelines for posting there. We don't want it ending up like the official BYOND classified ads section, now do we? While I'm at here's the link to the guild rules and guidelines as well.

- We have a sister guild, Audiophiles! If anyone here is interested in the art of music and sound head on over to Audiophiles, and embrace the melodic sounds of mod tracking!

Well that's it for now. I have some ideas and changes in store for the guild in due time (after I discuss them with good ol' Flick), as well as the matter of possibly hiring a new mod to help keep the guild in working order.

Keep on truckin' guys.

edit: reposted without the really bad poll. My bad, sorry.
I'm all for expanding the guild as long as the main focus is still pixel art. Some of the forums need to be either cut down or merged though. Everything just seems to be spread too thin.

Works in Progress should be merged with General Discussion.

General Non-Game Art should be cut. Showroom should be the place to post any finished artwork.
as long as the poster states what type of are he has used, then i cant see a problem with it espacally if its in Work in progress because how can you help art which you dont no what type it is.
The pixel art stuff wont go away, I assure that. We just open the guild up to game-art that isn't pixel art. We will most definately have problems with people not knowing what is pixel art, and what isn't, but I think we can manage it.

Anyone else want to comment on this? Would anyone use the guild more if it was more open what? Use it less if it were?
Well, it has nothing to do with the topic but I'll comment anyway. How about changing the Edit/Delete/Reply post buttons?

They look cool and all, but it took me awhile to finally get what they were supposed to mean. They're just confusing and they don't really add any value.
Wouldn't it work best to make this a "BYOND Game Art" guild and have a forum subsection specifically intended for pixel art? Then all of the pixel art people can have their area to hang out, while the guild wouldn't seem to be discouraging non-pixel art.
Most people came here for pixel art, either to learn it, show it or get artists. When making games on this site it's the most important type of art to know. Just like DM would be the main language to focus on in a byond programing guild, pixel art would be the main type of art to focus on in a byond pixeling guild. DM and Pixel art are the two main things you need when starting a project around here, so I don't see how anyone would get discouraged. Despite 2d art practically dying out we should stick to the roots and not forget what brought us here, pixel art should be recognized as the main supported style of art here even though it won't be the only one supported given TMDI's last changes.
Why is pixel art the "most important art to know" for BYOND games? The only thing pixel art is really necessary for is RPG-esque sprites and items and such. Anything else - board games, casual games, strategy games - can all be easily done with art that isn't pixel art.

Especially considering BYOND's current full color and alpha support, there's no reason to restrict BYOND to pixel art.
Foomer wrote:
Especially considering BYOND's current full color and alpha support, there's no reason to restrict BYOND to pixel art.

Performance.
You guys are some very good iconers. If I could icon like you all of my games would have good icons in them. I have tried to icon before but my icons don't look so great. How exactly did you learn to icon so well? All of you must be the best iconers there are. I knew this one dude who was an ok iconer. His icons didnt really look as good as your icons. Why don't you release an pack with your icons in them? Iconers such as yourselves should help BYOND. Start iconing like crazy for everyone else. You iconers could make a difference if only you would start iconing for people. Do any of you iconers even icon for anyone? Or do you iconers stick strictly to iconing for this guild?