DeathHyren wrote:
IainPeregrine wrote:
No matter how standardized a those numbers are, they're still numbers that need to be translated to something concrete before they're meaningful to any player. We could set up a silly table that translates the numbers into things like "at least two original skills"... I can't think of a good comment to show how silly I think that idea is.

Yeah, I agree, but we can solve that with a concrete definition of what each number represents.

http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/03/wiredcoms-game.html

Those are not concrete in the way i mean though, concrete as in specific points that work towards and against a game based on an unbias evaluation of features and qualities of a game. You can have somebody think game A deserves a 10 because its great in their eyes and maybe they wanted a game like that to exist, and it filled a niche that they wanted on BYOND and they feel for what BYOND can do it hit the limits and was great. However somebody else may score it a 6 because their perception of how much room for improvement there is relative to the platform, and in terms of what type of game they like playing (RP vs PVP etc) will change their mind. Anytime a scoring metric can have such large variances between reviews for the same game, the you know its not concrete or rooted in fact enough, and even that wired article only tries to describe what a number means not how it is derived.
DeathHyren wrote:
Yeah, I agree, but we can solve that with a concrete definition of what each number represents.

Please take the time to read through my post before responding. You're responded twice in the time that it's taken me to go back and re-read my own post to make sure that I was clear on what I was saying. I found that I was clear, which basically is telling me that you feel you can respond to me after just glossing over what I've said. Not a way to have an intelligent conversation.

Had you taken the time to read past the section that you quoted, you would have read this:
A review should tell the person reading it concrete things about the game, and a number is inherently abstract.

Which makes your idea that about giving a concrete definition to each number extreemly backwards. Why give a concrete meaning to a number, and then use the number, and then force the reader to look up that number in some definition table, when we could have just stated the concrete reason instead? Plus, your system would have us tied to 10 "definitions" of any aspect of a game. I feel that's an insult to the BYOND developer community that you think BYOND games fall into 10 neatly defined categories.

Plus, it allows for all sorts of backwards nonsense like the following:

Define 3 as "Easy to Play"
Define 7 as "Has Help File"
Define 10 as "In-Game Tutorial"

How do you propose we rate a game which has an in-game Tutorial, has a help file half finished, and isn't easy to play? 5.3? 10? 3? Your concrete definitions for numbers fail to explain such situations. However, you didn't think of any of that, or even stop to read what was written, before you commented multiple times.

Further, let's take your approach. Let's steal the rating scale from that website for a moment, and consider a game that's been rated a 10. Let's see what "concrete" definition you feel that gives to a reader: "Metaphysical product perfection". I don't feel like I know anything about that game. "Metaphysical"? Is that the part where the overlay equipment system is done really well? "Product Perfection"? Does that tell me that the developer holds tournaments once a week? Specifics about the game are what a review needs, highfalutin metaphysical nonsense is completely useless.
Hey, the review is there for someone who wants a full look at the game before they play it. I personally don't like reading reviews before I play the game and then find some nasty aspect of the game that the review didn't tell me about, and my review was designed to prevent people from having similar problems.
It held my attention well enough and I've only played BLN once or twice. Maybe BLN just isn't the type of game that appeals to you; when I'm reading a review and I don't give a shit about the game, I tend to get bored. In the same way that writing a review is opinionated, so is reading one.
Unwanted4Murder wrote:
It held my attention well enough and I've only played BLN once or twice. Maybe BLN just isn't the type of game that appeals to you; when I'm reading a review and I don't give a shit about the game, I tend to get bored. In the same way that writing a review is opinionated, so is reading one.

lol...What's your problem? I didn't think the review was great, and that offends you? It's not even your review, wow.
IainPeregrine wrote:
DeathHyren wrote:

Please take the time to read through my post before responding. You're responded twice in the time that it's taken me to go back and re-read my own post to make sure that I was clear on what I was saying. I found that I was clear, which basically is telling me that you feel you can respond to me after just glossing over what I've said. Not a way to have an intelligent conversation.

Had you taken the time to read past the section that you quoted, you would have read this:
A review should tell the person reading it concrete things about the game, and a number is inherently abstract.

Which makes your idea that about giving a concrete definition to each number extreemly backwards. Why give a concrete meaning to a number, and then use the number, and then force the reader to look up that number in some definition table, when we could have just stated the concrete reason instead? Plus, your system would have us tied to 10 "definitions" of any aspect of a game. I feel that's an insult to the BYOND developer community that you think BYOND games fall into 10 neatly defined categories.

Plus, it allows for all sorts of backwards nonsense like the following:

Define 3 as "Easy to Play"
Define 7 as "Has Help File"
Define 10 as "In-Game Tutorial"

How do you propose we rate a game which has an in-game Tutorial, has a help file half finished, and isn't easy to play? 5.3? 10? 3? Your concrete definitions for numbers fail to explain such situations. However, you didn't think of any of that, or even stop to read what was written, before you commented multiple times.

See.. you criticize me for not reading your post in full, and yet you come up with some arbitrary counterpoint to that website I provided that doesn't really apply. If you were to read the definitions, they don't contradict each other (at least nearly as much as your example) like you say they do.

I think I can excuse myself for skimming your comments, thank you.
Hyren you misunderstand. Hes reiterating his point that you didnt address, hes not addressing your reply.
This whole post is becoming redundant.
The best BYOND players are on Naruto Ultimate Alliance 3.
Page: 1 2