ID:432349

Redundant
Applies to:Website

This feature has already been implemented, or is already achievable with existing methods.
Not going to bother with silly details or reasons for this idea occurring, so here goes. I think it would be quite useful if BYOND Members had access to an email inbox hosted on the website. Your email would pretty much just be your key, such as "[email protected]" or in the case of names with spaces, you can have a hyphen or special character, "[email protected]" or "[email protected]", something of the sort. I don't know if the BYOND site has any room for functions such as that, but it was just an idea I had, wondering who else might think that this would be most useful.

Also, if a Member runs out of Membership time, their email box would obviously be locked until they renew it, but any emails sent to it could be redirected to the user's account email address.

EDIT: Also an Idea hit me about having a site chat room where members can create and moderate rooms for developer discussion or just general chat about anything. Maybe anyone can create a room for discussion, it would make it more open and less exclusive. Just another thought.
I like this idea. Not really something required, but it would be nice. Instead of Classified Ad replies being sent as a PM, someone could email you a whole resume.
Seems rather helpful for people who are running a development team. Do it!
Wouldn't be @byond.com since that's reserved for official purposes. But it could be something like @byondhome.com (where the BYOND files members upload go). AZA and I actually provided a service @byondmail.com where BYOND Members could have [email protected] and it was pretty successful but AZA kind of dropped the ball on the 'handling the payments for things' side of things.

I had a good server setup for it, a nice webmail client customized for BYONDers, IMAP, POP3, all that good stuff. I'd love to get something like this going again some time because it was a really fun project but it has costs that are just out of my reach.
I think "@mail.byond.com" would work best in a situation of names. But that's just my opinion.
I also like this idea. =D
Why not? With this we could avoid giving your real email (Most of the people uses real email while registring at sites).

I support this.
I'm a little confused by this; why not just give people a personal e-mail address, or create a new one for the purposes of handing out on BYOND if you're worried about spam or being harassed?

An e-mail inbox dropped on the BYOND server for every member is just going to eat up server space, surely.
I'd rather see BYOND provide an instant messaging server with accounts for all users. Having BYOND e-mail accounts might be convenient, but it doesn't change much (and it'd probably be members-only). Having BYOND-based IM that could be integrated with BYOND games would open a lot of possibilities. It's also more in the nature of BYOND users to chat with each other than to send e-mails to each other.
I do have to agree with you, Forum_Account. Although if an Email server was created, I'm sure that an IM system could be created using the same one, more or less made hand-in-hand. For an internet forum, it does seem a bit behind the loop without the options for Private Messages between users, although that's about the only other thing I would like to see on it. What would be even nicer would be sort of a chatroom style interface where members can create new rooms and others can join for discussion and whatnot. A lot of things on the forums would be a nice and useful addition, but there's so much to be done to the software itself, I'm not sure if Tom and Lummox have enough time to work on both. We saw how long the site overhaul took. I'm sure we'll be able to work with the current system for a while longer still. Me personally, I'd rather see more software updates, but that still doesn't mean that a website addition wouldn't be nice.
for the username of the email...
obviously use [email protected]
This is useless ... You can receive pager messages via email, wouldn't that do?

The majority if not all of you have 1 or more email address do these not suffice? or must you really waste Tom's time with implementing a system such as this?

It seems that some of you can't wait for the next release of BYOND why slow things down with requesting this?

I think it would be better of being out sourced as Nadrew has done in the past with AZA..
In response to Forum_account
IainPeregrine's Artemis system was intended to be a plug-in for existing games to have a communication line with all other Artemis-enabled games through a central server (Ceres Communications Base, I think). When you connect a game to Artemis, you can send messages through that connection to whatever Artemis server, which then sends it out to its connected worlds.

It worked pretty well most of the time, and it's a pretty interesting concept that I'd like to see happen for real. It's one thing for BYOND to have it built-in, but the DM version worked pretty well itself.

It's kinda like pixel movement, I think. It has been fairly simple to do before native pixel movement came out, yet people never used it. Then native support comes, and more people use it (though not as many as I'd like to see). Artemis is a bit more complicated than pixel movement, but it wasn't too impossible to implement into a game. Still, only three or four games to my knowledge have actually used it (Hazordhu at some point, Star Wars Clone Corps, some other thing), not including the chat room, Ceres Communications Base, itself. Maybe if native support would come, people would use it.

Though, I still think it would be better for the server for its players to be using a specialized IM client like MSN or AIM.
It's all super easy. The BYOND staff just needs to set up a chat server and create accounts for users. If they provide a web-based chat client, to add chat support in your game you just need to place a browser control on the interface and direct it to the web-based chat client.

The reason this is hard for users to set up is that no user-made solution can be used as universally as a BYOND-made solution because the BYOND-made solution can be integrated into the website and can provide accounts to all users.
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:

Correction, to you it's useless, but that doesn't make your opinion true. There are people who find the native pixel movement useless, does that mean that it should have never been developed? Not at all. If you don't want to use it, that's fine, but there are people who will, and their opinions count too.

The majority if not all of you have 1 or more email address do these not suffice? or must you really waste Tom's time with implementing a system such as this?

It seems that some of you can't wait for the next release of BYOND why slow things down with requesting this?

I think it would be better of being out sourced as Nadrew has done in the past with AZA..

I do appreciate your willingness to contribute to the feature request, honestly, but it would make me happier if you actually contributed something. Nothing said that this would ever take priority over the new Software Update, which it wouldn't. The update will get done at the same time, whether or not the request approved.

Most people here do indeed have multiple emails, but having a public email account for your projects would be nice. Not to mention the added idea for a Developer's Chat Room or whatnot, allowing for immediate answers to questions and feedback on game idea's. Hell, maybe just a place for the Member's to loiter and chat about life. I think it would be fun and make BYOND in general a more social place. (Hopefully)
In response to Solomn Architect
Solomn Architect wrote:
A.T.H.K wrote:

Correction, to you it's useless, but that doesn't make your opinion true. There are people who find the native pixel movement useless, does that mean that it should have never been developed? Not at all. If you don't want to use it, that's fine, but there are people who will, and their opinions count too.

Oh I totally agree people can have their opinions .. just like I did ^ ..

It would take more time to develop this system and it would be better off if BYOND as a whole focused on other things in my opinion.

I like the idea but I hardly doubt it will come into place.
Many people in the 80's never thought that Cell Phone's were ever going to come into place, did they? Now look, there's a cellphone in the pocket of almost every American, today. The thing is, you'll never know is something works or not unless you try. "You will always miss 100% of the shots you never take", a great quote that I live by.
That was slightly off topic.

Of course BYOND can try this I didn't say they couldn't and I do not have any control over them I did however say I doubt it would happen(again my opinion) in the end it is up to Tom not us.
It'll be nice. Would definitely set BYOND apart from most other websites.
In response to Cubanbling
Cubanbling wrote:
It'll be nice. Would definitely set BYOND apart from most other websites.

BYOND is already different(if thats what you meant) from other sites because it owns it's on developing compiler and language.
Page: 1 2