ID:43794

Keywords: game_design

Few titles have had such a gigantic impact on gaming as the first Legend of Zelda. Soon after it's release (and Nintendo's boost in stature) other companies rushed to get their own "Zelda Clones" out the door, such as Neutopia (Turbo Graphics 16), Arkista's Ring (NES), Crystalis (NES), and the Mana series (Game Boy, SNES). These games all included vital aspects of the Zelda series, such as:

• A large expansive world which the player was free to explore non-linearly (to varying extents, Arkista's Ring was entirely linear).
  • Action oriented combat and puzzle solving (some games focused on one more than the other, and some determined battle outcomes based on a form of experience points more than action; Arkista's Ring didn't include any puzzles).
  • Collecting items which could be used in combat, could modify the player (such as healing, transformation, or extra defense), or could allow access to other areas of the game world.
  • Collection of coins or other objects for use as currency, generally to purchase healing or non-unique and consumable items (Arkista's Ring had no shops, and therefore no currency).
  • A top down ("bird's eye") perspective.
  • Non-tile restricted movement ("pixelized movement"; Arkista's Ring was limited to tile based movement).
  • A plot involving a number of dungeons to explore, each with a boss and an item (Arkista's Ring was linear, so there wasn't a difference between 'dungeon' and 'overworld', though each themed set of areas ended with a boss battle).
  • None Player Characters to talk to and interact with (Arkista's Ring did not include NPCs).

It's amazing how much one game can define a genre, and how many other games will just blatantly steal all sorts of ideas from the original. Wait, what's this you say about Arkista's Ring? Why, if it's so different from the others, did I even list it as a Zelda clone? Really, I shouldn't have, but so many other people do so I figured I had to. So, you've never played Arkista's Ring? I suggest giving it a try; it's one of my favorite games of all time, and one of the biggest inspirations behind George Gnome.

In Arkista's Ring (AR), you play as Christine who is on a quest to retrieve the eponymous Ring of Arkista of an evil Shogun. Christine must face hoards of monsters on 125 levels, which progress through themes (such as woodlands, crypt, snow, water, and castle), and end with a battle against the Shogun himself. So, what classifies this as a Zelda Clone in so many people's minds? Let's list what they have in common:

• First and foremost, the player character wears green and has pointy ears. Yip, this is enough to determine what "gameplay" category the title falls into. Even though Link is a Hylian, and Christine is a run of the mill elf, the ears and color are apparently all that matter.
  • Gameplay takes place in a top down perspective, and is action driven. (Metroid is a side scroller with action based combat and projectiles, but I don't see people calling it a "Mario Clone").
  • AR's head's up display uses hearts to display the player's health. The hearts are of a set number, and extra health containers take the form of pieces of armor, such that the display might show six hearts, a chest plate, and a helmet.
  • Christine can find and use several items to help her in her quest, just like in the Legend of Zelda. (Wait, don't most games include items? Why arn't they compared to Zelda?)
  • Many of the monsters in AR look like monsters from Zelda. (Now this is just getting ridiculous; since when did Zelda own the rights to Skeletons, Ogres, balls of tentacles, wizards, and... ninja? Half the monsters in this game are bloody ninja, and the original Zelda didn't include even one!)

In case you can't tell, I don't think AR is a Zelda Clone by any means, and I reject how most people categorize it as such. However, this isn't a post about AR, this is a post about trying to design a game without the stigma of "Zelda Clone". Let's take a look at the sort of gameplay someone (me, in this case) might want create:

When I made my first George Gnome game, I wanted a large world which the player could explore. Most people making multiplayer online games want this same thing. We can do this in one of several perspectives, the most popular being "bird's eye" and "side scrolling / platform". If we choose platform then we run into problems, such as our map basically becoming a large ring that the player can only choose to move east or west on, and all our puzzles can be summarized as "get over this large thing". We can make it more two dimensional by putting cities in the mountains/clouds or underground/underwater, but I don't want half my game to be clouds and the other half wet; it gets old quickly. We're basically limited to bird's eye view (unless we want to get really complicated and use something like isometric). This isn't a bad thing, though. Bird's eye view is great for action games.

So, how do we design our map? We could make one giant map which includes the entire world, and scroll the map as the player moves, but this takes up much too much memory to be a good option; also, the player has a harder time breaking the map down into sections which can be easily remembered. The best way to handle this is to break the map up into small sections which are loaded as needed, but how large should the sections be? If they're very large (ten screen widths wide, or more, let's say) then the player will loose sense of how the maps are connected geographically. In other words, the player will become conscious of the fact that's she's being warped from one area to another. We can make them smaller (2-3 screen widths, let's say) and the player will be able to form connections between the maps geographically, but the combination of scrolling and warping is odd and distracting. The player feels like she's in a box. I think that the best solution is to make each map one screen width wide, so no scrolling ever takes place, each map feels geographically connected to the others around it, and the least amount of memory is used. This is the approach I eventually decided on for George, as each map could be loaded as a separate html document into the iframe I was using for the map display (George Started off as a Javascript game in IE5, before iframes were hunted down and destroyed).

Now that we've talked about the map, let's talk about action. The player is going to need health and a way to attack. We could display the health as a number, but I believe in using small numbers for hit points. Numbers would make sense in something like Final Fantasy where health runs up around 9999, but displaying an "8" in the corner just looks stupid. So let's go with something graphical. A meter doesn't make sense, because, again, we're using small numbers in discreet steps; meters work for displaying things like "73.4%", but they don't work very well when you have 8 discreet steps with nothing in-between. So let's use tokens. We could use anything for a token: Prince of Persia used potions, but we're going to be using potions as items which restore health. We could use blue circles, yellow smiling faces, or anything really. Hearts are used most often and make the most sense, so we could certainly go with hearts here. (Side note, George uses radishes, but I think I'd use hearts in any non-G.Gnome game). On to attacking. There are three types of attacks: melee, ranged, and area of effect. Most action/adventure games don't make large use of area of effect attacks, and they're never the primary means of attacking (though the original Zelda did have some, such as the bomb and the flute), so let's talk about melee and ranged. Melee is a no-brainer: give the player a sword (or knife, spear, etc.). Ranged is often either a bow or some sort of magic missile (a wand in both Zelda and AR).

Next, we're going to need to give the player a means to access new areas of the map, or interact in new ways with already visited areas. We'll do this through the use of skills and items (Zelda didn't have "skills" as such, but some of the items, such as raft, were more of an unlocked skill than an item). Items/skills will be collected via major quests, such as by killing a boss or exploring a dungeon. Why else would a player need to explore our dungeons and kill our bosses, unless they needed the items/skills to get to new areas, and eventually the final boss?

So there you have it. We'll use a bird's eye perspective, maps which are one screen wide (and don't scroll), a giant map which the player is free to explore, action based combat using a sword, bow, magic, and items, items and skills which are found in dungeons, and boss battles. "Wait just a minute!" you say, "You've just described the Legend of Zelda! You're making a Zelda clone!"

In some ways you're correct. That does describe Zelda. However, I did not set out to copy Zelda, and we arrived at this description by exploring the best way to achieve our desired game-play. Zelda is not a unique game which has been copied over and over again; rather, the gameplay mechanics in Zelda were arrived at by a group of people looking to focus on a certain type of gameplay, and any other game built on that type of gameplay will contain similar gameplay mechanics. After all, how can you claim that Zelda owns the use of a sword, a bow, the bird's eye perspective, boss battles at the end of a dungeon, or the color green? Yet Nintendo has been able to edge out any other game from this genre, because nobody wants to be the company that just copies Zelda. In the end, it's the genre (and the player who likes that genre) that gets hurt by the lack of games (I don't know about you, but I actually hate the new Zelda games; the gameplay is completely different, and the combat just isn't there). Really, it's a shame that Zelda was the first overhead action/adventure game. Had a mediocre game (with a title like "Action Realms") been the first to use these gameplay mechanics, and then Zelda came along a year later, no one would call Arkista's Ring a Zelda Clone or an Action Realms clone. It'd just be another adventure game, and game developers would be free to design more of them.

Finally, let's take a look at another genre which has suffered the same fate. Rogue was an adventure game made in 1980 which pioneered several key gameplay mechanics, such as a text characters instead of sprites, and randomly generated content. Rogue was so successful at defining it's genre that not only is the genre named after the game (something I don't think holds true of any other genre/game), but any game with a text based display is immediately referred to as a rogue-like. (Well, in some ways the developer is just asking for it if the player is a big @ symbol).

The difference is that there's no stigma associated with being a Rogue-like; developers like the term, and will happily apply it to their creations. "Zelda Clone", however, is used to write off a game: "If a game is a Zelda Clone, the developers obviously weren't smart enough to think of their own gameplay mechanics. Plus, why play a Zelda Clone, when you can play the real thing? They're all cheap knock-offs." Imagine my frustration the first time I heard George Gnome's Secret Adventure described as "Zelda, with vegetables".

For me, it all comes down to this: With the exception of the first (and third, to an extent) games, I hate Zelda. I hate masks. I hate Tingle. I hate NPCs that smile and wring their hands like dogs begging scraps, all the while dancing like someone who needs to use the rest room and making weird moans and squeaks. I hate collecting seventeen types of attacking items for use against a total of eight non-boss enemies (Wind Waker was great, until I discovered I had seen and fought every monster in the game less than half way through. I waited until my brother had a save file near the end so I could fight Ganon. That much was fun). And though I absolutely despise the new Zelda games (and many of the old), I love the action/adventure genre. To this day I still play Zelda and AR on a regular basis. A room full of Ironknuckles (or ninja!) never looses it's challenge. I want to see more action adventure games, to hell with the "Zelda Clone" stigma.

When making clone games, you do have to make it either:

a) mindless fun
or
b) something different

The truth is, what made the Mana series was its 3 player SNES RPG Secret of Mana, and its sequel which didn't arrive outside of Japan. When it hit PS1, it went back to a single player game, and that totally destroyed the series.

Zelda wise (bearing in mind I have only really got the NES, SNES, N64 and some game boy games), the only ones I enjoyed was Link to the Past, and the first 64 game (I love shooting things from the horse).
I like Zelda clones, personally. And I deal with the shoddy difficult levels of the latter Zelda games by playing through them with 3 hearts. Much more intense that way. (Except for Wind Waker, where the challenge of playing with 3 hearts is in avoiding the heart containers.)

I play Zelda Classic sometimes so I can play the most blatant Zelda clones. Actually, from the sound of it, it would probably be easier to create your Gnome game as a Zelda Classic quest instead of building a whole new game.

But in the end, if you want to avoid cloning a game, you just have to change the mechanics a little. Metroid clones are always side-scrolling shooters and Zelda clones are always top-down sword/arrow games. Why not a top-down shooter?

And as for your numbers as health thing, I'd prefer 2-3 digit numbers over 1 digit numbers. If you get whacked by an enemy while having 40 health and the enemy does a visible 5 damage to you (you see the little 5 floating away), then in the end you've just given your game a wider range of possibilities as far as inflicting damage to the player.

PS: I hate Tingle too. Oh, do I hate Tingle. I think people who insist of reintroducing him in new games should be tortured.
Are you referring to Legend of Mana? It's 2 player, it is one of my favorites.

Acebloke wrote:
When making clone games, you do have to make it either:

a) mindless fun
or
b) something different

The truth is, what made the Mana series was its 3 player SNES RPG Secret of Mana, and its sequel which didn't arrive outside of Japan. When it hit PS1, it went back to a single player game, and that totally destroyed the series.

Zelda wise (bearing in mind I have only really got the NES, SNES, N64 and some game boy games), the only ones I enjoyed was Link to the Past, and the first 64 game (I love shooting things from the horse).

This post is actually pretty relevant to Dungeon Crawlers; I've talked about some "Zeldalike" topics there too, most recently about Anguna. (If you haven't seen Anguna yet, you need to.) I like this style of game a lot and want to see more. Now I'm curious about Arkista's Ring.
Saints Row.
IcewarriorX wrote:
Saints Row.

A good example of a clone that is better than what it 'imitates'.

On the subject of Zelda, I admit that the more recent games have been very lackluster. Honestly, Twilight Princess was nothing more than OoT with pretty graphics to me. There was a Zelda fanboy on a forum I used to visit who got extremely pissed when GTA IV took the #1 spot on the top games of all time, dethroning OoT. He said GTA IV wouldn't exist without Zelda because Zelda had the first wide-open world, inventory, god...the list goes on.

I hate fanboys more than you guys hate Tingle.
Bwgmon wrote:
GTA IV took the #1 spot on the top games of all time

That's okay, because I refuse to acknowledge the existence of GTA games. So as far as I'm concerned, OoT is still the best. :P

Foomer wrote:
Bwgmon wrote:

That's okay, because I refuse to acknowledge the existence of GTA games. So as far as I'm concerned, OoT is still the best. :P

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/ simpleratings.asp?rankings=y

OoT is still No.1

"Are you referring to Legend of Mana? It's 2 player, it is one of my favorites."

Oh probably, the PS1 game never actually reached Europe but I thought it was only one player. Still, the previous two games were both 3 player, on a console which only had two ports unless one got a multi player adapter, it really felt that the series main individual features that split it apart from the rest just seemed to disappear as the series went on and different people developed it.
Nishiatsu wrote:
Foomer wrote:
Bwgmon wrote:

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/ simpleratings.asp?rankings=y

OoT is still No.1

Correction: GTA IV WAS #1 for the first 2 weeks of it's release.
(I also don't understand why they'd let Orange Box and GTAIV be listed twice, just because it's the same thing on different consoles.)
I just feel the need to add, what is a top games of all time list if not the opinion of one person? They hold no weight or credence in a discussion any more than any other personal matter of opinion.
So I don't have much of an opinion on most of the post, except for you saying you hate the newer Zelda games. Made me sad. :P

I haven't played Majora's Mask or Windwaker, but I loved Ocarina of Time back when I had it for my '64, and I like Twilight Princess for my GameCube pretty well. I still haven't beat it (was one of those games that I hit 20-21 hours of play time, put it down for a bit, and just haven't made it around to picking it back up).

The ____-clone thing happens a lot, though. I'm sure you can't get another game with Guitar Hero elements without it being considered a clone (Rock Band as an exception, since it's by the same developers as the original Guitar Hero games).