I'd say that Sqaure should be faulted the most for making 4988942398 remakes of their earlier games.

A lot of the more recent FFs have suffered from really poor gameplay mechanics, materia system, sphere grid, license system, etc.
Fail troll is fail
The license board was a good idea, it was just poorly executed. A problem I've seen with what a lot of games.

You see, the license board opened it up so that you could develop the character the way you wanted to. However, all characters ended up pretty much the same when you got the end, save for very minor difference in the natural level gains. Had they gave each character a separate board, they could have developed the characters into more styled jobs.

There was also the problem with having known the game, being able to get a gladius so early in the game, but we won't get into all of the flaws of XII.
Yeah, I agree with what you say Mikau. I never meant that the idea itself was flawed, but its execution. I don't like games where all your characters end up being the same. I suppose you can restrict yourself, to a particular set of skills per character, but it's just annoying that it wasn't conceptualized like that originally.
This is why i loved Golden Sun, it was near perfect. The storyline, characters, the battling and the design. Just wonderful for a handheld. I think it can compete against consoles anyday :)

Though Star Ocean was fucking amazing.
You see, all these "other" RPG consle games that you love, were made possible through the ideas and systems of dragon warrior and final fantasy.

If you played other RPG's before final fantasy, which is seems you did, then what you were getting were bits and tads of dragon warrior or final fantasy redone in a different game.

Final Fantasy set the stage, others followed.

EDIT: Going back now though, yeah. After having played the evolutions of RPG's that followed, I could not sit long and play them past the point of a nostalgia fix.

It's that way with most RPG's though, specially once you know the story. At the time, ff7 (ps1) was ground breaking. Nothing like it had ever been done. Now? It's just another poor graphics ps1 RPG. I still love what it was though. It's still fun to play in itself absent of the knowledge of what has come sense. I mean, we play byond games. 2d Games. Why? because they are fun, they are new, unexplored. Same goes for how awesome some of the FF series was when they were released.
@Ironguy:

FF7's story was done before.

See this link:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b254/M3rrith/ 1187984545055.jpg

And I heard other PS1 games had better graphics than it to begin with.
Page: 1 2