ID:44310

Keywords: contests, events

Hey guys, D4RK3 54B3R here!

BYOND Action is going to be hosting a GIAW (Game in a Week) contest, starting on Saturday the 21st!

For those of you who don't know what that is, a GIAW (based upon GIADs) is a contest where participants have one week to develop a game based upon a theme that is released at the beginning of the contest.

We'll be releasing the theme on Saturday!

Prizes are based upon the points system outlined here.
  • 2000 Points for 1st Place
  • 1000 Points for 2nd Place
  • 500 Points for the Best Action Game

Here are the rules, just for you guys to keep in mind:
  • Entries must incorporate the theme, which will be released at the start of the contest. Entries that do not sufficiently incorporate the theme will be disqualified.
  • Entires don't exactly have to be Action Games, but a special prize of 500 points will be awarded to the best Action Game.
  • Entries (including source code) must be submitted to [email protected] before 12:00AM on the 29th. Late entries will be disqualified.

If you have any questions, drop a comment in this blog post or ask them in the forums!
Woot ^_^... Im SOOO going to attempt to win this contest(doubtful)...

A question towards the whole points system.....

Are these points just basically you guys jot down on paper, word pad, or some other form who has what points? Or will these points be managed by BYOND somehow?

My reasoning for asking is.... I think it would be cool to implement some way to were you can make in-game items bought by points... Not allowing the owner to get these points or anything... Just a means of having a wider variaty of prices.. I guess this would screw things up in a since... Nevermind ^_^...

P.S. I dont just go ahead and not send/delete because I had already taken the time to write all of this out and Im too lazy...
Read the post linked to. It fully explains how they are kept track of. It is not integrated into BYOND itself, just a little thing we (as in BYOND Action) are trying out.

Look forward to seeing what you make :P
Mental Note: Check Saturday for theme...
Wow, a way for me to possibly extend my membership without fail. Will try to enter, not doing anything else...
How long does it take you, D4RK3 54B3R, to type 'D4RK3 54B3R'? :P
I might join, but I'm not a member of the guild (nor can I be). Can I still use the points?
Ok, I have a goodish question....

When it comes to submitting our entries. Do we send you guys the source code, host files, or does it not even matter?
Vermolius wrote:
How long does it take you, D4RK3 54B3R, to type 'D4RK3 54B3R'? :P

It takes me less than a second to type D4RK3 54B3R.

@Ss4Toby: Yeah, we need your source code as a part of judging implementation of the theme.
DivineO'peanut wrote:
I might join, but I'm not a member of the guild (nor can I be). Can I still use the points?

Yes. Just find a way to contact either me or D4RK3 54B3R when you're ready to cash 'em in.
Sweet. Can't wait!
Will you provide (or show) some place to chat with the other contestants?
(like the GIAD)