ID:45113

What happened to survival games, guys? Survival, Archipelago, Hurricane, Deadly Waters, zombies survival games, even SS13... They were all great survival games! Where did they go?

Even if all of the above are dead, what happened to the new ones? Does no one like survival anymore?
I used to enjoy playing Survival, until it became apparent that some people just enjoyed going around tearing down walls and breaking into stuff.
I could never really get into Archipelago although I played a couple of times.
Eh, I played Hurricane, and really enjoyed it. But I never see anyone on it, so I don't play, and then deleted it off of my games list.
SS13 isn't dead; it is now open source with a somewhat dedicated community.

With creating survival games, it is not as rewarding like it was 2 years ago. Mainly because once you create a game your player base consist of a few players. Though those few players maybe much more intelligent than an anime game's 50 players, it is just not as motivating creating a game for that gets only 5 players.

Also, why not play some of the “classics”? Archipelago is downloadable and Hurricane’s source code was released some time ago. People complain about the classics being dead a lot but they are dead for one reason, no on bothers to host them. The only reason SS13 is alive is because the community stay dedicated to the game even when the creator gave up on it.
Hurricane I believe was "ruined" when it became buggy as more updates were added. I played it for a pretty long time up until then. As for others, its probably just laziness in general..x.x
Deadly Waters doesn't have a regular hosting schedule, but it's still around and mentioned in BYOND Strategy's Tech Tree every once in a while. (I didn't know where to place a goal-based simulation.)
I was considering creating a "natural desaster" game. A game were all sorts of random situations are thrown at you and it is your job to live through them... However.... Nah :D.... In my opinion survival games are only fun for a week or two... Heck, most games on BYOND are only fun for a week or two :(
There was talk about making an island survival or zombie survival game with the Roleplaying Guild awhile back. The idea was scrapped because a few people thought it would only attract the Anime crowd...for some reason.
Well I did have AVS and may re-start it later(Go to my members page to check it out).
The problem with all the survivalist games is none of them provide anything beyond a rudimentary method of establishing economies or player organizations.

All of them provide only the *bare* minimum to prevent griefing.

Last but most importantly all of them sacrifice fun for realism and conceptual purity.

If anyone can create art (even rudimentary) and is interested in making a highly interactive, balanced survival game then message me.