ID:45324

Keywords: concept

Poll: Which concept would you like to see?

Open Space 63% (7)
Odd Ball 36% (4)

Login to vote.

--Concept number one--

Name: Open Space
Developer: Ryan Taylor
Date Created: Monday, July 14, 2008 (10:10 AM)
Platform: Windows PC
Setting: Outer Space
Year: 2012
Story: Not Available
Motto: Not Available
Genre: Multiplayer Online Real-time Sandbox Space Game (MORTSBSG)
Mode(s): Online (LAN or Internet Multiplayer)

CONCEPT:
This game will take advantage of the use of server side connecting. There will be numerous downloads for this game, here are the following:

Space Ship
  • This option will allow users to take control of a space ship, which can travel throughout the “Open Space” universe. They could perform trades with other users in which to gain money to either fix/upgrade their ship or give it to their potential owner or employed space station. When hosting this ship, users can directly connect to you to join your crew, if you do not like their presence you can kick them off or potentially kill them if it fits the role playing criteria.
  • When driving a ship, you will be connected to the master server. Here, you will see a non interior view of your ship (32x32 exterior). You can fly around and communicate with other users. If your ship was to be destroyed, all users inside the ship will most likely die as the server will be shut down.

• Space Station
  • As with the space station, when downloaded you can connect to the master server so your station can appear. Users can also directly connect to your station.

• When downloaded the station owner must build his/her own station, which is why trading between users is recommended. If you were to disconnect from the master server for that day the station will remain in space, so it is recommended to add security and personnel you trust.
  • Side Notes: If you connect your station to the master server you can not enter it if you are currently using a space ship, unless you dock on it. It is recommend to first build your station before you control your ship.

• Master Server
  • When connecting to the master server it will ask rather or not you want to connect to an official one or just a user hosted one. Users can download master server just incase the official one ever goes down, though saved information may not load correctly on it.

• MORE ABOUT THE GAME
    Ultimately the object of the game is to become the most powerful person/crew in the “Open Space” Universe. The only way to do this is to build up a crew which will protect your assets when away.

I am not sure if having client side connection will be a good idea. It may confuse too many players and may be a waste of time to add as I could most likely do this all on one server. For example, new users will start off in the basic space station in which they can learn more about the world. If I did this way, I may still have the client side space station to reduce the number of objects within the game from potentially huge stations.

Another place I am stumped at is with death. I did want this game to be round based but it may be too big for such an idea, so what happens when you die? Do you start completely all over; can players revive you with certain tools? Before I start on such an ambitious project I need to get these problems straight.

--Concept number two--
    Name: Odd Ball
    Developer: Ryan Taylor
    Date Created: Monday, July 14, 2008 (3:54 PM)
    Platform: Windows PC
    Setting: Outer Space
    Year: 2012
    Story: Not Available
    Motto: Not Available
    Genre: Multiplayer Online Real-time Space Game (MORTSG)
    Mode(s): Online (LAN or Internet Multiplayer)

CONCEPT:
    This game is probably much easier to create than Open Space; it is pretty much an expanded version of Space Station 13’s Traitor mode. There will be several different missions for the Odd Ball (traitor) to do depending on their occupation. Such as kidnapping a certain person, drugging someone, steal a gun, and more. For every five players online there will be one Odd Ball. So if there were 25 players the game would randomly pick 5 players. Each Odd Ball will not know who is who and will be competing to finish the mission for their faction and escape unnoticed.

Stealth will be taken into play as users can cut the lights to their advantage. I was also thinking about creating a special suit which is semi-transparent, which would be harder to see in the dark. The game would be round based, if every crew member dies on the ship before the mission could be completed then the game is over and no one wins. So the non Odd Balls need to be careful who they kill in order to win. Odd Balls will need to manipulate users into thinking they are normal crew men in order to complete a task. Once all Odd Balls are dead the normal crew wins and the game will be restarted.

As with character identification, would create a very detailed character creation system in which users could choose their characters species, race, gender, and other attributes.

--Final Word--
    I am leaning more towards Odd Ball more than Open Space, more because it is a much easier task to complete such a game. Who knows, if I do pick Odd Ball it would be possible to use that engine on a later date to construct Open Space.

Have any suggestions, please feel free to post.
Open space sounds like a really hard to make game, but would probably be the most original on BYOND.
I agree, I really love the concept. If I was to pick this project I am leaning towards not using the client side servers right now.
I was knocking around an idea that shared some things in common with Open Space. There's a very small design outline posted on my blog. Feel free to borrow ideas as you see fit.

http://www.byond.com/members/ Evre?command=view_post&post=37089