ID:461374

Recently my cable and internet provider(Comcast) reset a bunch of [expletive deleted]. My internet went down for several hours, and when it came back up, the server I was hosting could no longer bind to that port. I've tried switching ports, and I no longer get the error message, but the port is still unreachable by players. It's not just for BYOND, it's my servers for other games as well. I figured that since I was having this problem with BYOND for the mostpart, it would be best to make a post on their forums. Any idea how I can fix this? It could be that Comcast hasn't finished resetting, since it was last night, but I thought I'd best make sure, so I'm not pointlessly waiting a day or two.
When I forward ports, I need to provide the last 3 digits on my internal IP address, like 123 in 192.168.1.123. It isn't static though, so sometimes it changes. When that happens, I have to re-forward the port with the new number.
Hope that helps.
Hello again,

It may be possible that because of the long downtime, Comcast may have changed the public IP address that they gave you and your router and/or modem isn't "using" that IP address.

Try completely powering down your router and/ modem (depending on the style of device you have, you may have to unplug it if it doesn't have a power switch) and then turning them back on.

Hope this helps.
In response to Kaiochao
Kaiochao wrote:
When I forward ports, I need to provide the last 3 digits on my internal IP address, like 123 in 192.168.1.123. It isn't static though, so sometimes it changes. When that happens, I have to re-forward the port with the new number.
Hope that helps.

For those cases, I recommend using a newer router. Most newer models allow you to bind a specific MAC address to a specific internal IP, so you can always make sure a computer on your network has the same internal address.
In response to Higoten
I've powered it down multiple times already. It hasn't helped at all.

Edit: Oh, and I checked. My public IP address is the same
Have you checked your router's port forwarding settings? Make sure they haven't changed or anything of that nature.

What ports are you trying to host on? Comcast has a tendency to block certain ports / port ranges, although anything above 10000 shouldn't be giving you a problem.

It may actually be easier to do a factory reset for your router (If you haven't made any advanced configurations.) and start from scratch.

Additionally, check your firewall settings. Just to confirm that they haven't changed.

If all else fails, you have may to get in contact with your ISP and inform them of your problem, perhaps they know what is going haywire (especially if this is happening for all programs, and not just BYOND.)