ID:474462

Keywords: coding, map, obj, problem
(See the best response by Deathguard.)
Ok, I recently got my hands on the source of a game that I will not name so as not to be trolled and I was hoping to do a complete restoration on it and bring it back up to the community. One of the main problems with the source is that is has no maps and thus I am making new ones. The thing is, though, I've run into a problem. Any object that I place on the map does not show when I run the game, even after I've compiled it. I've gone through the coding of each object I've placed, and none of them have anything in them telling them to become invisible. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this?
Many many things could be causing it. Solution? You should probably start from scratch and write code that you understand.
The thing is, I'm not the best coder in the world, and I'm fairly good at understanding what's written, it's just that I'm not the best at going from scratch. I was hoping that It'd be easier for me to learn if I messed around with code that's already written.
Best response
More likely it will just teach you bad practices and faulty logic, and lead to you having more difficulty later than if you had just written something from scratch; it's also a lot more difficult to follow someone else's programming fridge logic, especially if the game wasn't well-made to begin with.
Ok then.....I guess I'll do that.
Yeah, I can pretty much understand where you are coming from though, and I think with the correct learning resources, you could benefit.

My recommendation would be to play with some of the tutorials provided here, as some will give you sample code to read and then modify to try things out.