ID:48064

Poll: Should the US Drinking age be lowered to 18?

Yes, If you can die for your country, you can get drunk in it. 31% (10)
No, 18 year olds aren't mature enough to drink. 18% (6)
No, that would only mean getting it lower and lower until infants can drink. 12% (4)
Yes, they do it anyways, let them have it. 6% (2)
Yes, most 18 year olds are responsible enough to handle alcohol(HAHA) 0% (0)
No, Alcohol is a sin(AHAHAHA). 3% (1)
Yes....Why isn't it 18, again? 15% (5)
Other(if so, please elborate). 12% (4)

Login to vote.

I just wanted to here what BYOND has to say about the United State's drinking age being 21, while most other privileges come at 18. Most people in my "community" are 100% for lowering the drinking age. Personally, I don't see any reason to have the 3 year wait on it, seeing that most people in general aren't mature/responsible to drink. So, what's everyone's take?
we almost beat ECU today, pretty freaking intense.
HAHAHA Almost doesn't cut it. I was going to go, but back here in Greenville one of the Frats threw a big-nasty party. Thanks for the 3-0, by the way :)
Keep it the same. American teenagers are far too stupid these days, and making it any easier for them to get alcohol would make it worse.
Maggeh wrote:
Keep it the same. American teenagers are far too stupid these days, and making it any easier for them to get alcohol would make it worse.

But at the same time, I think MOST Americans are too stupid to drink. So that logic doesn't really hold.
Disturbed Puppy wrote:
Maggeh wrote:

But at the same time, I think MOST Americans are too stupid to drink. So that logic doesn't really hold.

Perhaps, perhaps not. If most adult Americans were too irresponsible with their drinking we would have quite a problem, wouldn't we?
Maggeh wrote:
Perhaps, perhaps not. If most adult Americans were too irresponsible with their drinking we would have quite a problem, wouldn't we?

Not necessarily. It's like getting a new puppy(in a way, this is a loose example). When you first get the new puppy, you're exited to have it, and spend most of your time with it. but as you get used to having the puppy, it becomes less and less entertaining. And since most people in college(aka people who will e in charge of things in the future) drink underage, by the time they get to 21, they've had alcohol(the puppy) for a good 3 years.
To add to that, I'm a great example of this. I've been drinking alcohol since I was 10. I went to a great party today, but monitored myself enough to make sure I wasn't horribly drunk. But, I have a feeling that has something to do with 8 years of dealing with Vodka.
Other: There should be no age limit, and parents should be responsible for their children.
Xooxer wrote:
Other: There should be no age limit, and parents should be responsible for their children.

That's my stance on it too....I don't know how I didn't put that option in >_<
Personally, I think they should either lower the drinking age or heighten the army age. It isn't fair how this country recruits brainless teenagers to go to war and then tell them they can't get drunk to temporarily forget about all the fucked up shit they've seen.
But if you lower it Mexico would lose some of it's 18-20 year old tourists!
Fine with me. I hate Mexico. <_<
The dark prince majin vegeta wrote:
Fine with me. I hate Mexico. <_<

You obviously didn't go to a good part of it, then; Cancun is beautiful.
I never went at all. I've never even left the country. Lol
Raise it.
As I understand it, it's not at 21 just because of maturity and such. It's also about physical maturity and the dangers to your body. Your body hasn't fully developed until about age 20-21, so at that point your liver can better handle the alcohol. Drinking (In excess I imagine) earlier is just gonna gimp it. I don't particularly care either way though.
From what I understand, bullets, missiles, explosives, (certain) gases, etc. are all quite harmful to the body as well. Yet it doesn't stop the military from recruiting teenagers fresh out of high school to travel to foreign lands and have one (or many) of these bullets sent through limbs and/or (fatal) organs for the sake of showing another country we're stronger.

If we're old enough to get shot, we're old enough to drink alcohol.

Besides, I doubt it has anything to do with physical maturity. If what you say is correct, one's lungs aren't fully mature at 18, yet every 18 year old in the country can legally buy cigarettes and begin the long process of eventually needing a hole in their neck to breathe.
Back in the day the voting age was 23 (or 21, i forgot) and drinking age 18. After many complaints they flipped it. If its not broken, don't fix it.
It doesn't matter what age limit there is be it 21 or 18 kids younger than that will be drinking anyway its either that or drugs.
Page: 1 2