ID:49475

Terrible, terrible, terrible. No subtlety (Little Britain wasn't particularly subtle to begin with, mind), pandering to an american audience and the jokes are all obvious and pretty unfunny.

The weirdest thing is the way all the accents of the british characters have been 'americanized'- Vicky Pollard no longer speaks in a strong bristolian accent but now in a weird mix of american and vague somerset.

Daffyd Thomas has lost most of his welsh accent and replaced it with a posh english one. For me, the line that exemplified the dumbing down for US audiences was: "I can't have sex with a man, I'm a gay!".

The sketch I saw of Lou and Andy was reasonably okay, only it featured Lou actually seeing Andy get out of his wheelchair (caught on CCTV footage), which felt a bit wrong- luckily the joke at end was pretty funny, with the police looking for a black guy after seeing footage of a clearly white Andy. :p

The bizarrest thing about it is that it's a spin-off show well past its welcome- Little Britain hasn't been popular in the UK for a long while (at least a year or two). They can't be cashing in on Little Britain's popularity because it's not even popular anymore.

The ratings says it all (from the wiki article):
The first episode in the US brought in 540,000 viewers and the UK brought 4.7 million viewers according to Digital Spy.

Given that the US has about 4 or 5 times the population, the disparity between the US and UK ratings is even worse.

Given that a lot of Little Britain's charm comes from british cultural references and regional accents that could only be appreciated by the british and, to an extent, commonwealth countries (I know Crispy's a fan :p), it just boggles the mind how this ever seemed like a good idea in the first place.

:(
Totally agree, I didn't see it, but I didn't need to. You've confirmed everything that I expected.

Waste of time, I have actually lost respect for the actors who did this, the Britain in Little Britain got chucked out the window.
So let me get this straight. They made an American version of Little Britain, with out any of the Britain? Wat...?
Little Britain with about 5 new american characters and all the british original ones made more americanized with whatever plot device to get them over the pond (Vicky at one of those camps for bad kids, Lou and Andy on holiday, etc.).
It's like every british comedy that gets turned into an American version (Because apparently americans can't stand English TV shows or something. At least, according to American TV executives. Who are well known experts in the field. Clearly.) The American version of The Office was terrible. And the American version of Coupling was the exact same show, except set in New York, and with different actors with American accents.