ID:5235

i hardly ever download computer games and play them. i have a few games that i like, and i stick with them. but, while browsing the internet, a game caught my eye.

fate (http://www.fatethegame.com, not the one by kunark :-P)

i saw a screenshot somewhere, and it looked so much like diablo 2. part of me was curious to see how much like diablo this game could be, and part of me wanted to play diablo 2 but couldn't find the CDs. the demo of fate is a free download, i'll try it.

it was a hassle to install. it insisted upon installing to the c drive. i have almost no space on my c drive. last week i had to clear up some space because i couldn't fit another cookie. i havent even started playing the game and i don't like it already.

i start playing. oh, no character classes. well, i guess its not like diablo 2 in every way.

you hold down alt to show items. that's cute.

the enemies' health meters and information is displayed just like in diablo 2. how adorable.

the inventory and character screens look just like diablo 2, and it even has the same icon to show that you've levelled up and you still have points to distribute. ok, now its starting to get creepy.

socketed items. gems. tomes of identify and town portal.

they copied almost everything straight out of diablo 2. except, they didn't copy the character classes or skill system. that's what made diablo 2 great, and that's what they don't copy after so shamelessly copying everything else. they had no character classes, and their skills were pathetic. they weren't even skills, really, just bonuses to things that you had. a bonus to damage with particular weapon types, bonus to critical strike, generic stuff.

and they're selling this for $20. if they can get $20 for this i think i should get at least $10 for pooping in a box and writing "fate" on it.

so, anyone want to buy a box that says "fate" on it? only ten bucks.
well... it IS 3d rendered...

while Diablo II had only a tilted ground and resizing of sprites.

From the screenshots, it looks like there's Fishing involved... There was no fishing at all in Diablo II... so maybe there are gameplay elements other than the Combat.
since its made more recently, improved graphics are practically a must.

it was mostly a hack and slash game. i only played the demo, but if it turns out that fishing is really the main point then i'd be really surprised ;-)
I like your blog.
I love generic hack-and-slashes. I played the Fate demo to the max levle limit with about 20 characters just to see the strongest items I could get by maxing out different stats with different characters. It was a fun game for those 30 minutes.

I wonder if anyone really bought it.
By the way, what payment methods do you offer for your box with 'Fate' on it?