ID:52356

This movie sort of killed my Resident Evil 5 buzz. If the writers of this have anything to do with Resident Evil 5's script then the game is going to need an AWESOME engine just to pick up the slack.
For starters, these people are just dumb. They live in a post-Racoon City world where everyone is up in arms about 'bioterror' yet nobody other than Leon and Claire get what's going on. I don't mean in a Die Hard 'those two highly trained men who just shot up the luggage section were probably just petty thieves' denial sort of way, I mean they don't understand zombies.
Even after Leon has briefed a group of special agents they don't seem to get what they're dealing with. I'm having trouble thinking up zombie movie characters who were more clueless than pretty much the entire cast of RE:D.
There's one scene where one of the main characters, who knows why they're there and what they're dealing with, runs off to help someone on the ground. She picks him up to carry him to safety without even looking at him (it actually looks like she purposely avoids looking at him). Even after he's attacked her and she has seen his clearly not fresh face she yells at Leon for shooting him.
Luckily Leon is there to offer his sage-like advice of 'look' as it's revealed that the room is clearly full of moaning and groaning zombies. She probably would have rushed to help those guys too if Leon hadn't pushed her out of the way and started shooting.

Even the security response team in the lab that was working with the G-Virus don't seem to understand.
They also love long countdowns for some reason. 'Ok, if the virus gets to this point we need an automatic self-destruct to contain it, but even though we're sacrificing our own people indiscriminately lets throw a five minute timer on it just for kicks'.
Their entire containment system centers around the idea that anything that was infected would get so distracted by the countdown they will just stand there and wait to die.
Seriously, they don't even seem to have doors between the different containment areas. 'Oh no, he's walked into a different area that isn't going to self-destruct', 'Don't worry, the 15 minute auto-destruct sequence that failed to get him in the previous area will surly stop him this time'.

With pretty much the entire cast being brand new this movie really highlights the writers inability to create American characters. Claire and Leon work because they've had games/stories to build their backgrounds on, but the new guys are really poorly written.
Japanese writing seems to get stuck using stereotypes. Even when they write Japanese characters they tend to be stereotypes of whatever group the person is a member of. When they don't really understand the groups it gets pretty bad.
I'm not going to say their use of western stereotypes offended me, but it was harder to enjoy the movie with such poorly written characters.
I think this has potential to be a really big problem for Resident Evil 5. The initial 'outrage' was that the zombies were almost exclusively black and I think that was more of a knee jerk reaction than a legitimate gripe with the game. However, I also think this movie is a good indication that when the game is released there will be legitimate problems with the non-zombie African characters.

I'm sure Capcom are taking measures in that area after all this fuss has been made, but they're naive enough that they may screw it up in some weird way (ie, satisfying African's rather than African-American's).

Overall this movie is something to watch once when you've got nothing better to do. You might enjoy it but it's not worth rushing out to get.
I enjoyed it for what it was. Lol Leon doing inhuman acrobatics fighting the G-virus dude. All the new characters were terrible though, and everyone did act retarded. Hey Leon lets go diving sometime! Besides, the Resident Evil games have always sort of been campy zombie games with corny dialog and characters.

I don't know if it was written by the same people, but the movie is suppose to bridge the gab between the first 4 games, and five with the company at the end of RE:D being behind the events in RE5.
Maggeh wrote:
Lol Leon doing inhuman acrobatics fighting the G-virus dude.

I liked the bit in the Airport terminal where Leon throws Claire the gun. It took zombies surrounding Claire and the kid to remind him that A) he has a spare gun and B) Claire is ridiculously good at shooting zombies.
Not to mention Claire's ninja kick. Was she saving that for new years? She thought letting them surround her while she hugged a small child was a better plan than kicking the crap out of the undead?

Hey Leon lets go diving sometime!

Well she had to make sure to say something smooth and flirty so Leon would know she's not some crazy weirdo like her brother, Mr. 'I'll turn myself into a monster rather than just grabbing some evidence'.