ID:52840

Keywords: it, mod, modplug, music, s3m, tracker, xm
You guys have noticed that there are midi problems with BYOND, right? I dunno why, but I know that some midis have sound issues.

Anyway, a great alternative to midis are in the Mod family. MOD/XM/IT/S3M are all good files. I perfer XM completely, but that's my opinion.

If you want to make yer own, then yer gonna have to look for a lot. I myself use 2 trackers: MilkyTracker and ModPlug Tracker.

I use MilkyTracker to record sound waves (8-bit ones) and ModPlug Tracker to make the actual music. ModPlug Tracker is great for making Midi-like XMs because it has access to Midi Sound banks. It even has VST support. (I dunno what VST means, but they're plugins that synthesize sound.)
All you gotta do to use midi sounds is drag a sound into a smaple or instrument and then you can use it.

XMs are also a LOT smaller than wavs. (Depending if you USE small waves to make your music. Really, are you gonna load a whole song file into an XM? You're better off just keeping the wav by itself.) They also load better than Midis because XMs actually have the sample data inside them.

If you want to learn or already know how to use a tracker, go download Modplug tracker and make some music. If you don't care or are just lazy, go to http://www.modarchive.org and download some.

Also, don't ask me how to use a tracker. I had to experiment with some to get the hang of it and I'm not good at explaining what I've learned.