ID:53362

I promise not to make a habit of posting press releases, but this cracked me up a bit (emphasis added):

Emote Games will work with North America's oldest and most recognised conservation organisation to offer the most realistic online gaming experience that promotes the Boone and Crockett Club's core values of hunting and land ethics, as well as the Club's widely recognised and accepted big game scoring and records keeping program.

[...]

"It is important to the Club, and many others, that hunting video games portray the activity as the time-honored and ethical pursuit that it is," said Keith Balfourd, the Club's Director of Marketing. "Nothing will replace the lasting enjoyment of being active outdoors [...] Who knows, maybe even those 'gamers' who have not had the opportunity to hunt in real life may learn something valuable about hunting and conservation, and wish to experience hunting for themselves."

Gasp! It's all a diabolical plot to get us "gamers" out in the "fresh air" and "sunshine"! Bollocks to that, I say! To arms, gamers; you have nothing to lose but your dignity in the eyes of a bunch of outdoorsy types!

I love the way they put "gamers" in quotation marks. Doesn't it just make it sound like the guy's voice is dripping with disgust? Gamers. You know, those pimple-faced nerds still living in their mother's basements because they're too pathetic to get a real life and shoot life-forms that actually exist.

... Nerds.

Speaking of basements, Mayhem Intergalactic is due to come out on Steam within the next 12 hours or so is now on Steam! Hooray! And it's on sale for 50% off (this week only). You should totally go buy it.

(In case you're not a regular reader of my blog, Mayhem Intergalactic is a totally awesome indie game which I created all on my lonesome. And then published on Steam.)
I'm sorry, Crispy, but my wandering eyes have turned from writing a mayhem intergalactic map editor to reading up on compiler constuction.

Although to be honest, it'd probably help writing a map editor if I used flex and bison to generate the scanner and parser, rather than rolling my own.
When I get home, I'll spam out an announcement on the BYOND Steam group. I haven't got to test it past what I played with D4RK3, but I'm looking forward to an official release.
Heh. Finally, a game that teaches us that if it's fun in the game it's even more fun to mimic it in the real-world.
The quotes around "gamers" are a little odd, especially given that hunting-themed arcade games have been quite popular. But I can't fault them for trying to use a popular medium to introduce new people to their favorite pastime.
I'm not faulting them either... I just find the ham-fistedness of the attempt amusing! Well, I think it's ham-fisted. The quotation marks really don't help.

@Jp: Heh, no worries. I should really just get around to doing it myself...

@DB: Cool! Might want to wait until it's actually out though... any hour now... We had some last-minute delays to set up additional promo stuff, which is terrific since it means extra exposure. The only problem is that the suspense is slowly, slowly killing me. :-)
According to the Steam main page, it is released!
Indeed it is! Yay! :-D

You actually found out before me - I was at work installing about a billion different online dictionaries for someone, heh.

Man, my graphics look terrible in rotation next to Aquaria. :-P Oh well.
Congrats. What a big deal... Best of luck.
Thanks!
Hey, I'd be interested in hearing about how this game evolved for you. Do you have this written down somewhere? Going from an idea, to a byond prototype (or more) and then on to Steam. That seems like a best seller to me. At least for some of us wanna-be game developers.
Hey, I'd be interested in hearing about how this game evolved for you. Do you have this written down somewhere? Going from an idea, to a byond prototype (or more) and then on to Steam. That seems like a best seller to me. At least for some of us wanna-be game developers.
I've had a note in my "to do" file for a while now to do a retrospective blog post (on the Inventive Dingo news blog, but I'll cross-post it here since you're interested). I might get onto that when things calm down a bit. =)
What happens when gamers take it to the bush: http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/5033/123008155600am7.jpg

My first headshot!
Fluffy! :'(