Me n my family just beat up the cable guy once in a while.
DTV has been around since they 1995-ish range. So... any issues regarding the switch must have already been resolved. They just don't want to pay for the extra broadcasting range to reach rural areas. Also, yes I relize a large number of you must watch a lot of online TV like I do myself, but there are times when a TV is just unbeatable. For one reason, you get the raw broadcasts. I want to watch the new Eddie Izzard skit as soon as its on TV, not wait a week for it to pop up on the web xP
Who gives a shit? You can watch all of your favorite shows on the internet nowadays anyway.
Digital signals are more resistant to disruption, noise and interference than analog signals, because there's room for error - screwing up the waveform even slightly for analog signals destroys information - it's just that you still get the picture, maybe with ghosting or some weird colour or a bit of fuzz or something, but it's still impaired.

When it's digital, even before you get into the world of error-correcting codes and the like, you need to change the signal enough to turn a 1 into a 0, or vice-versa - which requires more disruption.
Jp wrote:
Digital signals are more resistant to disruption, noise and interference than analog signals, because there's room for error - screwing up the waveform even slightly for analog signals destroys information - it's just that you still get the picture, maybe with ghosting or some weird colour or a bit of fuzz or something, but it's still impaired.

When it's digital, even before you get into the world of error-correcting codes and the like, you need to change the signal enough to turn a 1 into a 0, or vice-versa - which requires more disruption.

*nods and smiles acting like he understands jack shit of what you just said*
Think of it like this - an analog signal (i.e., old TV) sends the intensity that the TVs cathode ray tube should emit at for each position it's in. It directly encodes the picture in a format with no room for error loss - if you even slightly distort the analog signal, it changes the picture - a common one you may have seen is 'ghost' images of whatever's going on - those are caused by the signal reflecting off of something and being picked up later.

Digital signals have room for loss - you can distort the signal a bit without changing the picture.
Ye, but for the people who get a signal that's super fuzzy, and super ghosty. While they might have been able to still enjoy the program, will be completely unable to receive a digital signal of the same quality.
Page: 1 2