ID:53818

Keywords: raw
**The series is currently not licensed and is unavailable anywhere outside of Japan. Please check the bottom of the article for what this means.

Vinland Saga is a relatively new (2005) historical-fiction comic book written and drawn by Makoto Yukimura, the guy who made Planetes. I wouldn't exactly say it's particularly historical, especially with some of the combat, but it's entertaining and that's what counts, right? The comic opens up with a siege of a Frankish fortress, and a band of vikings led by a man named Askeladd takes the opportunity to help the attacking forces in return for half the bounty. Being that they are vikings they end up sacking the entire fortress in spectacular fashion and getting away with all of the plunder.

The plot revolves around a young viking lad named Thorfinn who is tagging along with Askeladd in hopes of avenging his father, who was killed by Askeladd in battle. The duo eventually get themselves involve with the Danish invasion of England, and run into Thorkell, a fellow viking who switched to the English side because it was too boring to fight them. Thorkell is a crazy giant Viking guy who likes to throw giant, sharpened at the tip logs at enemy ships to sink them, and he he has on one occasion uppercut a horse. I'll leave it at that since I do not want to give much of the story away.

Overall it's an entertaining comic book series with a great cast of characters, crazy battles, all with an interesting story to boot. I highly recommend it.

Links-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinland_Saga_(manga)
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/ manga.php?id=6121
http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=1568

** continued: It is because of this that the only really feasible way (unless you can read Japanese and are willing to import it) to read the comic is through fan-translated releases of the comic known as scanlations. I'll refrain from linking to the online fan-translated version for now since I don't know if BYOND staff would be okay with it but I'll be sure to ask them about this in the future.
I wish they'd hurry up and translate more of the series.
I think they've only translated the first 2 volumes. (at least when I last read it)
It's an awesome series.
Moar Gantz
Not like Gantz at all.
Keeth wrote:
Not like Gantz at all.

I meant more Gantz as in needz moar Gantz. I thought I've said it enough for people to know what I was saying =/
I don't know. Stuff like Gantz might be a little too extreme to post about on BYOND.
Nice article Maggeh, I'll try to find some scanlations so I can read it in english. I also had a manga in mind that I'll write an article on next week =)
Why do most anime depictions of vikings/robots/aliens/whatever invariably end up portraying them looking like ancient Asian warriors? I mean take that uppercut picture- it looks like something out of Dynasty Warriors, not a Viking saga. At least they got the longboats right.
Maggeh wrote:
I don't know. Stuff like Gantz might be a little too extreme to post about on BYOND.

Pssh, who doesn't love a little sex and gore every now and then?

IcewarriorX wrote:
Maggeh wrote:

Pssh, who doesn't love a little sex and gore every now and then?

The only person that has actually gotten any at the point in the series where I am was the dog. I think that might be why Maggeh thinks it's too extreme.