ID:53862

Keywords: art
Vermolius has already blogged about what features we have in store of our GRAND update, an update well deserved to our supporting players of Efencea. One feature he decided to keep to himself was the complete remake of all the art in Efencea. So now, I get to tease all of you with a little taste of what is in store.

The previous art for Efencea was simple, silhouettes, for reasons being they are easy to make. To me though, they always felt like placeholder sprites and tilesets. So I have spend the past few days making some pixel art suitable for our success.

I have set a goal and limitations to myself with the colors. Using the color restrictions of a 4-bit game, wich has a maximum of 16 colors. Here is the pallet:

There is quite a bit of work ahead of me, Towers, Units, Animations, ugh .. huge hassle, But it is great practice in the end. My goal is to have it all completed within two and three weeks. If you have not yet, check out Efencea!

Feel free to comment with your opinions and questions, and I will respond.

Now that's gonna be something to see. It's already got that kind of "in space" ambiance.

Good luck with the bosses though... :]
<- can't speak at the moment, will try later. (due to shockingly awesome pictures)
AmonR wrote:
Now that's gonna be something to see. It's already got that kind of "in space" ambiance.

Good luck with the bosses though... :]

Oh joy. Now that will be fun. :[

Thanks Amon, for the comment. An if you would like the take some of the load off me with the bosses, I would be more than happy to accept your help. haha ^_^

Ganning Wrote:
<- can't speak at the moment, will try later. (due to shockingly awesome pictures)

Haha, I'm glad you like it. ^_^
Looks great dude, cant wait to see that in action. I wish more byond games had art of this level. Its definitely great to see something of high quality around here though, keep it up.
I'm no artist, so take my opinion with a mountain of salt, but the flat panels (with the circle) in robotpreviewit5.gif seem off. I almost feel like they should be scrunched down a bit vertically, because their plane is 90° off from the one that should be full scale. It isn't noticeable in the aliens' terrain because its more broken up, but because you used a perfect circle for the robots' tile, it sticks out and almost makes it look vertical instead of flat. If that makes any sense.

Other than that, amazing work! The creeps look awesome!
May I say though, that the purple one looks like it's got firewood inside it? Lol?
DarkCampainger wrote:
I'm no artist, so take my opinion with a mountain of salt, but the flat panels (with the circle) in robotpreviewit5.gif seem off. I almost feel like they should be scrunched down a bit vertically, because their plane is 90° off from the one that should be full scale. It isn't noticeable in the aliens' terrain because its more broken up, but because you used a perfect circle for the robots' tile, it sticks out and almost makes it look vertical instead of flat. If that makes any sense.

Other than that, amazing work! The creeps look awesome!

Yes, I've realize the problem before, an decided to ignore it thinking "meh no-one will notice. But since someone did, I'll dedicate some time trying to fix it. My rocks on the Alien tiles seem to look better perspectively, So I might have an Idea on how to fix it. Thanks for pointing that out.

Ganing Wrote:
May I say though, that the purple one looks like it's got firewood inside it? Lol?

Yessss, I decided to put speckles of colored spots.
While I thought the silhouette graphics had a certain charm, the new look should catch on more outside BYOND and I'm still unaware of anything that looks like Efencea inside BYOND. Either way, the animations look beautiful. =)

...I might even play as the aliens more. Their land is more purple and they look delicious. ;)
Aww, I liked the silhouttes; I thought it have a unique look to it. For the most-part, though, it seems you've retained that, so I suppose it's not bad. The art is certainly wonderful. Are you going to try and do anything about the tiling for stuff that shouldn't look tiled (that is, the purple, more organic-looking stuff)?
ACWraith wrote:
While I thought the silhouette graphics had a certain charm, the new look should catch on more outside BYOND and I'm still unaware of anything that looks like Efencea inside BYOND. Either way, the animations look beautiful. =)

...I might even play as the aliens more. Their land is more purple and they look delicious. ;)

Yes, hopefully attracting a player base outside of Byond would be nice. Might help if we get a few images of the game in the front page of Byond..

http://www.byond.com/?page=Start

Pmitch Wrote:
Looks great dude, cant wait to see that in action. I wish more byond games had art of this level. Its definitely great to see something of high quality around here though, keep it up.

Sorry I skipped you over. Thank you, thats a really big compliment.

Popisfizzy Wrote:
Aww, I liked the silhouttes; I thought it have a unique look to it. For the most-part, though, it seems you've retained that, so I suppose it's not bad. The art is certainly wonderful. Are you going to try and do anything about the tiling for stuff that shouldn't look tiled (that is, the purple, more organic-looking stuff)?

Heh, wow. I never thought anyone was capable of receiving a positive comment from the infamous Popfizz, I love reading you master-cynic replies.

Well, yea, I'll try too, but that takes a lot of skill, I'll try my best. Do you see that problem with the current preview images? I only see a hint of it.
Did you do anything to the romins? They look better now. Or am I just tired?
Yea, I think it's very noticeable on the purple one. Here is a little bit of code that can easily break up the tiling. It's very little programming-side work. Mostly, it requires more artwork. =P
Make sure the alien tiles have obvious repetition between tiles that I can use to size up distances in tiles; otherwise, playing as robots will be advantageous. I need to be able to make precise tower placements with their precise ranges and all.
Popisfizzy wrote:Here is a little bit of code that can easily break up the tiling. It's very little programming-side work. Mostly, it requires more artwork. =P

We're aware of this, just hasn't been employed.

[EDIT] I was aware of the technique...

Tayoko wrote:
Popisfizzy wrote:
Yea, I think it's very noticeable on the purple one. Here is a little bit of code that can easily break up the tiling. It's very little programming-side work. Mostly, it requires more artwork. =P

Thanks for the suggestion. I will defiantly do that.

Vermolius Wrote:
Did you do anything to the romins? They look better now. Or am I just tired?

You are tired. lol

I think my problem was from viewing them over a white background.
Mechadragon wrote:
Make sure the alien tiles have obvious repetition between tiles that I can use to size up distances in tiles; otherwise, playing as robots will be advantageous. I need to be able to make precise tower placements with their precise ranges and all.

Good point.

Going to have to think of a way to do this. Since i don't want to disturb the flow of the better detailed tiles.
ACWraith wrote:

It's funny that you say that. I've had several people liken the dripophages to pimples.

I thought they looked like some sort of juicy/gummy candy. *shrug*

Maybe the still ones look like pimples. I have not had perfect skin, but I don't think my zits ever jiggled about. ;)
Page: 1 2 3