ID:53931

Keywords: help, icon, icons, naruto, problem, turf
I'm using a house that is a .bmp file on my game. but there is gray outlining around the house and when I test my game the gray outlining turns black.. How do I get rid of it??
Learn how to add masks and don't use .bmp, ever.
Jeff8500 wrote:
Learn how to add masks and don't use .bmp, ever.

Yea.
How do I add masks?? and What is wrong with .bmp??
Ryu--Sonisaki wrote:

BMPs are the worst kind of image. Ever. Their filesizes are gigantic, they mess up colors, and they freak out when used by most things.

Use .PNGs. They're the best image format for game/web use.
Ryu--Sonisaki wrote:

1) Get a program that allows you to add masks/transparency.

2) It takes about 5 minutes just to load a thumbnail for dial up users. Use .png instead.
Mechana2412 wrote:
Ryu--Sonisaki wrote:

BMPs are the worst kind of image. Ever. Their filesizes are gigantic, they mess up colors, and they freak out when used by most things.

ok thanks
Ryu--Sonisaki wrote:
Mechana2412 wrote:
Ryu--Sonisaki wrote:

ok thanks

lol I'm guessin i'll need a pixel artist to make the masks
Ryu--Sonisaki wrote:

Or a graphics artist with use of graphical programs like Photoshop? :P
Ollyseeya wrote:
Ryu--Sonisaki wrote:

I have photoshop but know nothing of masking lol
Ollyseeya wrote:
Ryu--Sonisaki wrote:

WTF PWNT! O__o
Riku 123q wrote:
Ollyseeya wrote:
Ryu--Sonisaki wrote:

WTF PWNT! O__o

haha yes I know.
That comment wasn't really intended to be mean, or to "PWNT" anything. Just saying it'd be easier. lol
Ollyseeya wrote:
That comment wasn't really intended to be mean, or to "PWNT" anything. Just saying it'd be easier. lol

I've been looking for someone to do such task for 2 weeks now but no luck..
Mechana2412 wrote:

BMPs and PNGs are the same things technically. They are both raster graphic images (or bitmaps), a PNG is basically a compressed BMP.
PNGs are also not the "best" image format for games either. TGA images are pretty commonly used in a lot of commercial video games, and I suspect there is a good reason for that.

Anyway, when people say use masks, they are talking about image masks, and being cock heads about it. What they mean to say is make the background (the gray part of the image) transparent.
It is nothing technical, it is nothing hard to do and it does not require an expensive program like photoshop.

Google for "paint.NET", download and install it, it'll take you about 2 seconds to make the images background transparent with it, and it is free. You don't need any sort of skill or practice to do this, if you're smart enough to download paint.Net, you're more than smart enough to use it for simple things like this. (It is also a free and fairly good alternative to expensive programs like Photoshop)
The Magic Man wrote:
Mechana2412 wrote:

BMPs and PNGs are the same things technically. They are both raster graphic images (or bitmaps), a PNG is basically a compressed BMP.
PNGs are also not the "best" image format for games either. TGA images are pretty commonly used in a lot of commercial video games, and I suspect there is a good reason for that.

Anyway, when people say use masks, they are talking about image masks, and being cock heads about it. What they mean to say is make the background (the gray part of the image) transparent.
It is nothing technical, it is nothing hard to do and it does not require an expensive program like photoshop.

Google for "paint.NET", download and install it, it'll take you about 2 seconds to make the images background transparent with it, and it is free. You don't need any sort of skill or practice to do this, if you're smart enough to download paint.Net, you're more than smart enough to use it for simple things like this. (It is also a free and fairly good alternative to expensive programs like Photoshop)

Thanks a lot
The Magic Man wrote:
Mechana2412 wrote:

Thanks a lot