ID:542327

Keywords: dota, hon, lol, moba
I'm planning on creating a Moba genre game like LoL, DOTA and HON.
But I still don't have ideas how and where to start...
Anyone who can at least give me some ideas?
I'll credit y'all in the game when I've finished it!

You're asking people to give you their idea for a game so that you can make it instead of them. Normally I'd try to get you to understand the logic behind this but I'm feeling rather generous today.

You could try having... I dunno... spacecraft flying about in space. There are two bases, one for each team. When the base is destroyed, that team loses. Players can select which craft they'd like to fly (Scout/Fighter/Bomber) and go out to the enemy to make things die. Naturally there is a force-field protecting the base. So you and your allies have to go around and destroy generators. 2 or 3 generators should be good. I'm predicting a game size of 2v2 or 3v3. (3 generators would be for 4v4+). Naturally teams are going to have to play defense for their generator and attack the other generators as well. However, fuel isn't free (as some of you might be particularly familiar with, filling your cars up). So you have miners mining Helium3 in the sector. You kill the miners, claim the helium, return to base, get money, go out and kill more. Throughout the game you can research technology to strengthen your unit or the team as a whole. After the generators are down, you send a bomber to their base, destroy it.
I got Ideas but... it's the game functions and stuffs... I got story lines but I can't chose which will I use. I got: A Sci Fi fused with Medieval Fantasy, A modern day sci fi, a cyberpunk fused with mutants, a mecha zombie apocalypse. man, it's very vast. What I need is something like a backbone, like what will be the features, oh I got one: An RPG like waiting room which is a free roam and has quests and stuff which is similar to LOCO. But another problem is, what libraries will I use and how will be the flow of the program. But thanks for the idea, I think I'll gonna consider your idea, simple but really nice, classic for a MOBA.
One of my biggest questions is how will be the control, right now I'm experimenting on a classic RTS control which you can control your character and other player-controlled objects through your mouse: left click+drag to select, right click to move and access functions such as attack and building utilization. I got another choice, a W A S D with Space bar for jumping and mouse mouse for targeting and accessing function, I also plan on using the right click to activate skills like in Diablo.
It's critical that you don't pursue a project like this on a whim. MOBA is a very very complex genre (moreso than it seems) and a lot of deep analysis will need to be done before balanced gameplay mechanics can be designed.

I'm talking excel spread sheets and number crunching type of analysis.

You need to look at things like: Intended DPS and Burst Damage curves for the different types of heroes (Tank, "Bruiser", Ganker, Carry, Nuker, Support, etc), Intended kill times at the various levels, GPM curves for laning vs ganking vs jungling, and so forth.

This is important because you need to have a good grasp on what your game is going to look like and play like, and attempting this after opening testing to everyone may be too late (bad balance is a great way to generate infamy and unpopularity for a competitive game)
Right now, I don't really care if I create a not so famous game. It's just the fun of creating a game and the feeling of accomplishment when a game is finished. I'm just preparing my self for a bigger battleground out there when I've graduated. Unlike other big games out there I don't really want to spend a penny or even ask for someone to donate for my game. I know all the hardship and challenges in creating a MOBA, but you don't really need to get mathematical, I mean make it simple but fun. Because sometimes, the most simplest thing is the best thing ever. Anyway, looking at you post, it seems you are so knowledgeable in creating a well balanced MOBA game which makes me think... why not put more effort in my game? Besides, it'll be my first BYOND game, why not make it grand. Whew, you guys are making me realize that the industry that I've drawn myself into is not as simple as I think it is... it's way too huge, way too vast.
If this is your first BYOND game, it should not be grand. My first BYOND game was a point and click game, where you could upgrade your gun. As you learn more about the language, then you can branch onto more complex things.

Darke Saber is just telling you that making the game is going to require lots of thought and planning on your part.

There's also a sense of quality vs. quantity. You don't need 1000 bad games if you've got 2 good games, ya know?

As for why Dark Saber might not be inclined to help you, is because with his experience, it'll turn into his game with you producing minimal effort. Especially since this would be your first game. Personally, I wouldn't work for you. I might hire you to do simple things in my games, but I wouldn't make this game with you because you just don't seem to have experience necessary to be reliable with the code.

So I'm going to make 2 suggestions for you.

1. Program a few simple mini-games to get used to the language, then try this MOBA.

2. Sit down and figure out what exactly it is that you want to put into this game. Then figure out how it will work. Then program it.
Thanks for the suggestions...
I've tried creating mini rpgs but none of them were ever published or made it to the beta testing part. They always end up being a scratch game that will be soon used as a template for another scratch game... I've been around BYOND since 2009 but I didn't really spent much time on creating a concrete game. I can say that I'm no longer a beginner, perhaps I can say that I've reached the intermediate level in terms of understanding the language. I just contacted some "MOBAddicts", friends who are expert on MOBA and started creating a "jury group" whom I will consult my ideas to. Right now I've discussed to them my ideas and plans and they are still a bit doubtful of the success of this project. I can't blame them, I give up when I reach a dead end. But not this time, coz I'll dedicate this next months of my life in this project. I'll make it as simple as possible but still I'll give it a touch of uniqueness.

Okay, now it's time to build a team... graphic artists and programmers. I guess I'll just contact my close friends.

Anyway, thanks for the advice and sorry for my bad English and also sorry for bothering you guys.

Man, I started to see how bumpy the road to creating a MOBA game is.
After quite a while, I decided to get back to BYOND again and start creating that MOBA!
Been a while since I last used BYOND, I've got rusty.
Gotta practice my BYOND-ing again.
Maybe you could focus on making a really bare-bones MOBA. Try creating a simple but playable game. You can always add more units and buildings later on. But you can't just add playability and fundamental game mechanics later on.

I don't even fully understand what a MOBA is, what I gather is that it's like an RTS but you play as one of the units.

So, the basic components of the game are:

- A player-controlled unit.
- Some type of construction, i.e. a building.
- Some type of resource, needed to make buildings
- A win scenario!

Obviously that isn't a formula for a top-of-the-line game. But, it will definitely make a playable game, and done right it will also be fun.

So I think you should get those four bullets done FIRST. Don't even bother with different player classes, or buildings, or support units, or anything like that. Just have one player class - they can attack, and build bases. Destroying all of the enemy bases means your team wins.

If you are a little bit familiar with DM as you say you are, that should be within your abilities. It won't take months for you to create. If you want don't worry about graphics and sounds either - just draw crappy icons as placeholders so you can get down to nuts and bolts.

Another advantage of doing it this way, is that you will be able to establish a baseline in terms of balanced gameplay. I'm sure you will have to spend some time tweaking damage values and build time in order to make it so winning isn't too easy or difficult, and depends heavily on the skill and actions of the players.