ID:54707

Arts & Crafts Hero

Bill of Materials:

Tool hooks   2 @ $0.87 ea
4x4" Wooden Circular Plaques   2 @ $0.69 ea
2-Pack Wallgrippers + Screws   2 @ $2.48 ea
12 oz. Can Spray Paint - Satin Black (not shown)   1 @ $6.98

Step 1: Drill a 3/8" pilot hole in the center of each plaque, no more than about 1/4" deep.

Step 2: Screw the tool hook into the hole to ensure a good fit.

Step 3: Drill two more 3/8" pilot holes in each plaque, about one inch on either side of the center hole. Sand with fine grit sand paper (320 or higher), then thoroughly wipe clean.

Step 4: Screw the tool hooks into the center holes again, but just partially.

Step 5: Apply a few coats of paint according to instructions on the spray can, leaving ample time for drying between coats.

Note: In between coats of paint, it may be helpful to smooth the surface of the wood plaques using fine steel wool.

Step 6: Screw the brass screws from the wallgripper kits into an object (empty bleach container shown here) to hold them up. Apply paint to the screws.

Step 7: Screw the painted brass screws into the side holes until they just protrude from the back of the plaque.

Step 8: Find a desirable location on the wall. Use the points of the brass screws (protruding from the back of the plaque) to mark the wall by firmly pressing them into it. Insert the wallgrippers at these locations. If there is a stud at either location, simply drill a small (1/8" or less) pilot hole into the stud instead.

Step 9: Screw the brass screws into the wallgrippers until the plaque is firmly attached to the wall.

Step 10: Insert the hook into the center hole of the plaque and screw it in fully. Repeat for the second hanger. Enjoy.

I don't know how much a guitar controller weighs, but considering you have the wall anchors this should work for real guitars, eh? Pretty neat idea. I'll never buy a string-swing again!
We need a few of those here. I was going to digg this because it's pretty neat, but apparently BYOND is blacklisted.
Pretty Good, outcome.
Stephen001 wrote:
We need a few of those here. I was going to digg this because it's pretty neat, but apparently BYOND is blacklisted.

Mike could probably throw it up on Instructables, it's a really neat project.
definitely an Instructables candidate!
Actually, this project was inspired by an instructable: http://www.instructables.com/id/Guitar-wall-hanger/

Pretty much the same thing with a different back piece and paint. He must have used a slightly larger hook, too - my real guitar necks are just a hair too big for these.

For those who are interested, you can find the tool hooks at Home Depot and the circular plaques at Michael's. Not too bad, and definitely cheaper than the lowest price I found for "real" guitar hangers (about $11 each for the real ones).
You totally need to toss some of the stickers that come with World Tour on yours. Nice faceplate on the other one, is it a GH3 guitar?
The controller on the right is from the Guitar Hero Aerosmith bundle. We figured we'd need a second controller eventually, and I found the bundle on clearance for 35 bucks. Way cheaper than the standalone controller ($50) or the original price of that bundle ($90!). Save money and throw in a game for free? I'll take it! Plus I figured if we were going to get a guitar-only game, it might as well have more songs I like (Aerosmith rather than GH3).

My main interest in this series of games is playing the drums, which is a total blast. As a player of "real" guitar, I've been very critical of the GH series, and for a long time wouldn't be caught dead playing it. The controller is essentially a one-string, 5-fret guitar that magically plays any note or chord. If you've played the real thing, that doesn't fly. Not even close.

The drums, on the other hand, are simply a more compact version of the real thing. Everything you do on the Guitar Hero or Rock Band drums translates directly to a real drum kit, making the games a great way to have fun with a new instrument. No magical leap of faith.

For the guitar stuff, I've relaxed my criticism and found that if I consider it to be a completely different instrument, it becomes a lot of fun too. Even then, I get a little tripped up in songs that I know intimately well on the real thing, but that just makes for a new challenge. But I really wish I could play the drums on the GHA songs...
Nadrew wrote:
You totally need to toss some of the stickers that come with World Tour on yours. Nice faceplate on the other one, is it a GH3 guitar?

the stickers ruin the guitars.
Zxcvdnm wrote:
Nadrew wrote:

The ones that came with mine go on and off of the face plate without any problems. As long as you don't put them anywhere but the faceplate you should be fine. It's made of a material that handles the stickers best.

Nadrew wrote:
Zxcvdnm wrote:
Nadrew wrote:

The ones that came with mine go on and off of the face plate without any problems. As long as you don't put them anywhere but the faceplate you should be fine. It's made of a material that handles the stickers best.

I think he meant it ruins the look :P. I disagree, though; anarchy!