Palace

by Nategrant
Palace
Defend the Kings Thrown Room from the Monsters!
ID:54843

Keywords: nategrant, palace, review
Today, I shall review Palace, a game I have been playing for the past 2-3 hours. The game is by Nategrant and Oasiscircle. It is unsure on wether he/she is still working on it, but the game does show some good points.

Gameplay:

Well, the game is a base defense game that was inspired by Gold Guardians and Castle. The gameplay is much similar to the 2 games except it has one thing not seen in them. It has conjoined maps. There are 2 places your fighting in/at. The monsters start off in the Courtyard where you fight the hardest, but if they get through the courtyard, you have to switch maps to the Galm to make sure they do not penetrate the door. It uses the Go button feature, where you click go and the wave starts, but you must click Go again for the next wave to commence. The game has one major headache that can be easily fixed, and that is the Go, Galm, and Courtyard buttons. To access these buttons you have to click Stretch to Fit, but the icons look like ants from that point of view, so it's like 32x32, stretch to fit, 32x32, etc. Overall though the game is well coded, lag could be alittle bit lower though. Asking an player ingame on what he thought about the gameplay, the response was: "Player 1 (Willer) says, its alright"

The game also has many types of people to create, Melee, Traps, and Uhhh I guess Long Ranged typed mobs. There is also I few allies already there to help you. Each type has 5 different people to chosoe, each one up is better but costs more.

Presentation:

The icons are acually great. They are almost as good as the stuff Tayoka makes. I'm not sure of there being any sounds, but really sounds don't matter to me as much as the icons do. But the icons are well drawn, and don't hurt your eyes when you look at them.

Originality:

It's pretty original, but it has some features from other games. The game doesn't steal from anything, so I guess it's pretty original.

Overall:

Overall this game can tease ya for awhile. The game gives some good challenging fights, such as the overpowered harpies and how units gain a load of HP after wave 15. So go try! You might get past me. Also since you acually share the gold with partners and anyone can decide when the next wave is, you have to have teamwork or it will fall.

Recommended To All Audiences.
Originality is too high, since Castle is based on the tower defense "minigame" made by the Warcraft III map editors (if I remember correctly), and this game was (more than likely) inspired by Castle.

To be honest the only tower defense games on BYOND that deserve high originality would be Castle, SpaceCastle, and Efencea. Not that they aren't good games, just that they aren't as original in gameplay as those three.

The graphics aren't that great, then again, Castle is a great game that doesn't have good graphics.

Other than that, nice review.

(By the way, If by Tayoka you mean Tayoko, then lol at that sentence)
Aixelsyd wrote:
Originality is too high, since Castle is based on the tower defense "minigame" made by the Warcraft III map editors (if I remember correctly), and this game was (more than likely) inspired by Castle.

To be honest the only tower defense games on BYOND that deserve high originality would be Castle, SpaceCastle, and Efencea. Not that they aren't good games, just that they aren't as original in gameplay as those three.

The graphics aren't that great, then again, Castle is a great game that doesn't have good graphics.

Other than that, nice review.

(By the way, If by Tayoka you mean Tayoko, then lol at that sentence)

Yea Tayoko. xD Well with Base Defense games, or Tower Defense, it's really hard to have something attracting, I found the 2 map gameplay very attracting and original. You can think other though, I don't mind.

The graphics are better than average. and I just realized I jumped over a few things.
Thanks for the review. I'll try to work on it more actually since I was thinking of pumping it up a bit. You also forgot me on the authors. :)
Oasiscircle wrote:
Thanks for the review. I'll try to work on it more actually since I was thinking of pumping it up a bit. You also forgot me on the authors. :)

Oh, sorry. What you guys really need is to do a skin with those Cham and Courtyard on it. I'll edit you on there, thanks for seeing it. I hope you do well!