ID:572934

Keywords: action, demo, mmo, rpg, souls, variant
Here's a little demo to play with of my upcoming game, this is the first playable version of my combat system. No completely solid stats or many modifiable components, just the basic movement, building, and combat dynamics. Your characters scaled to be pretty damn powerful though.

DOWNLOAD HERE:
http://www.2shared.com/file/SG8wU9BB/VS_online.html
DOWNLOAD THERE^

If you want to build LAWTS of houses (which serve no purpose except that they help gauge where you are in the map/how fast you're moving, they're kind of fun to destroy, and if you host it and get some people in there with you, it's kind of neat to knock people into them), click the destroy button and spam-click the house on the bottom left. This'll give you a huge pile of resources to build more buildings with, and then you can just spam the map with them. Besides that, everything's pretty obvious and intuitive where it doesn't outright tell you the controls.

We're lookin for help on the game, for more info on that and the game itself check out this post:
http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=569632

Enjoy :) Feedback's welcome!
I like the combat system, very nice! The target system reminds me of Eternia's, but I like the power of the hit based off of the length the button is held.

Keep it up!
Very nice. I like the way attack range isn't a small, steady constant; as well as the target actually being moved effectively by the attacks impact. I don't end up playing most BYOND games, even for a short time, but I may end up trying this one if it gets finished and what not.
Thank you, I hope you do. I'll be putting it on the hub in the coming months and be running some tests, keep an eye out for it!
You're welcome. That sounds great, I look forward to seeing how this turns out!
Thanks, and yeah I know. Just trying to get some bites for some pixel artists ahah.

Not really working though
Unfortunately my standards for myself are way too high to release this game with stick figures ahah.
If all else fails I'm going to do all the art myself, as I mostly have been so far, though I'm not too keen on the prospect. I'm a pretty good pixel artist but I don't enjoy it all that much.
I believe I know how you feel, and based off my experiences I'd like to recommend that you at least focus on everything else first. It's okay if you can't stand releasing it with those graphics, but you should definitely do the programming and such first in my opinion. I didn't do that previously, but I do plan to do it in any new projects I get into from now on.

Art is important for a game, but it's much easier to make, or find people to make it if you have at least most of the programming done first.
Ahah well my game's going to have a lot more than just a sword and a shield. If I were making a simple fighting game then I wouldn't be horribly against it but it's an MORPG, good graphics are kind of a necessity, particularly when there's going to be lots of different weapons and abilities.

And the problem with using placeholders for this game is, as you may be able to tell, nothing's tile based. Not the movement nor attacking nor, well, anything.
Which makes knowing how big my icons are going to be pretty important for the design process. Changing things is possible obviously, but I'd prefer not having to work over the math in my entire code when it comes time to upgrade the graphics.
That's true, but you can always try to size the placeholders correctly. That requires minimal effort. Really, graphics are important for many reasons, but you can always wait on them till the rest is done. Ultimately, you just have to do whatever works for you. I'm just looking forward to trying this game when its further along, good graphics or not.
I'd play a game with art like that if the gameplay was good, but I wouldn't expect it to become hugely popular, and even less so if it were made with stick figures.

But even so, the art style and palette for my game is already decided upon, and I have absolutely no intentions of lowering the quality of it for convenience's sake.

In my opinion, art is an integral part of a games feel and a games art needs to fit with the gameplay and theme. From what I can tell of Epic, the art fits the games feel perfectly. Stick figures (or a lesser art than I am planning) would not fit Variant Souls theme whatsoever.
My apologies, I didn't mean it that way, I meant hugely popular outside of BYOND. I could see Epic becoming a very popular BYOND game if you kept it going but I mean for other gamers outside BYOND who may come across it somewhere, perhaps one of those "MMO list" sites or whatever else, they probably wouldn't be too interested at their first glance of the screenshots.

As for Eternia, I did give it a try today and with some serious work I could see it going somewhere. If I saw screenshots of it while looking for an MOG outside Byond.com to play, I'd give it a look based off the art. If it managed to turn out the way the creators seem to want it to, and with proper advertising, I could see it becoming very popular. Besides which, just the demo for it already has over 400 fans. Not bad for an early release.

I don't really see what Eternia has to do with this, though.
He is saying it has good graphics but terrible gameplay which is true the game gets boring after 10mins of playing.
Well yeah, but it's pretty friggen empty. My demo gets boring after 2 minutes, 5 if you play it with someone else, but the game's going to be awesome.
I'd say Eternia has promise.