ID:573250

(See the best response by A.T.H.K.)
I am just getting the hang of the basics of interface design - and I wanted to create an inventory - or to be in a more generic way:

I wanted to design "something" that is activated via clicking this button on the interface (i can do the button part)

This "something" will contain information that I define(for the sake of argument lets say its an inventory)

I would like to have additional tabs within this screen that comes up via pressing the interface button. In doing so a player would see items that they have, or belong to them.

However they will automatically be organized into their preset categories.

EXAMPLE: Tab A will contain weapons while Tab B will contain food. ETC.

I am not planning on doing this for an inventory system, but this is the best way I can describe it.

If anyone understands what I'm going on about, please reply and discuss a way to start this with me. I'm not looking for snippets, i'm looking to "understand" this.

Hm. There should be quite a few ways to do this. Honestly, the first, and probably most simple way that comes to mind to me is simply creating a tab in your interface, and then a grid for each thing you want; the tab will hold the grids and organize them the way you want.

There are probably other, more efficient ways; but this is the best thing I can think of based off the information you've provided. A child to hold the grids instead of the tab could also work, if you want less of a tab-like appearance but a very tab-like effect. That's a bit more work though, and not worth going into unless that's closer to what you want.
OK that part I understand, but when it comes to coding that ties to the interface I fall short.
Well, it depends on what you want to do really. It's a bit hard to help you without seeing any coding attempts, knowing where you're slipping at, and such. Are you aware of how to use winset and winget? do you know anything about outputting things to the grids? These are a couple of the questions that first come to my mind without knowing specifics. If your problem is simply grid based, you'll probably just need a proc to update your grid(s), for() to loop through player contents, and so on.

All I can really tell you is to just try. If you're really lost, there is the DM guide, F1 Help on feature in DM, the skin reference, etc. If you get stuck mid-code and absolutely cannot seem to figure it out yourself, then you could try posting the code and asking for help regarding whatever your problem may be. Your goal seems to be mostly grid based, so I'd start by searching and reading anything I could regarding it.

Sorry if this is not what you're looking for, or as helpful as you would like, but I don't want to just give you code or link you to a resource. No one learns much, if anything that way.
Consider me retarted.

Yeah i have a few attempts at things but nothing to this Caliber.

And i do not know how to output to a grid via items atleast.
Heh, don't worry about it. Everyone has to learn at some point, and each in their own way. I'll try to save you a little trouble/searching by linking you to something I once read to learn a lot about interfaces. http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=33582

That is the specific lesson that starts going into grids, but if you haven't read them before you may want to read through all of the lessons. Pretty basic, but it helps. Beyond that, I'd just go along with what I said above.

Trial and error will probably be your best friend, and Experience is the best teacher there is. Just do your best, and don't ever fear failure.
We'll that stuff i'm descent with, its when we get into advanced stuff, with winset, and so on that i am shaky with.

Basically my ideas are a bit beyond my ability.
Best response
Thanks for your input - if anyone has any further details to give, please go right ahead.