ID:573496

I've used beyond for great periods of time before, and wanted to get back into it. As far as I know nothing has changed with my PC but after I log into the client which works fine, and I click a game I want and click join, it opens, says "Connecting to Byond....." then closes. I've made exceptions in my firewall (same one I used to use that had no problem with it). Emptied the cache, re-downloaded multiple times, deleted all appdata and my document files and practically wiped clean my hard drive but it still does not work.

Only thing I can find to blame is something added in one of the updates that's messing me up.
Hi Kyiaro,

It would appear that you have done all the recommended actions in your attempt to solve your problem, nice job.

This has traditionally been a firewall problem, where the communication between the BYOND pager and Dreamseeker would be interrupted by some means, typically, and in most cases, a firewall.

I urge you to check over your firewall settings and ensure that there is no hash checks or misconfigured settings that could be blocking any of the three parts of the BYOND suite (BYOND.exe, Dreamseeker.exe, and Dreamdaemon.exe).

If your positive that there is no firewalls blocking any part of the BYOND software, I'll go out on a limb and suggest a less traditional method that one user found solved a problem that sounds similar to the one that you are having, and it has helped at least one other user.

Try downloading and setting up Cyberghost VPN. The free version of the program appears sufficient for anything that you may be doing with BYOND. I'm unsure exactly what steps you'll have to follow to set it up. But once you have it set up, try running BYOND and see if you are able to join games.

If using Cyberghost VPN solves this problem for you, please post back here and let us know. If it does work, this may suggest that there is a underlying problem somewhere upstream in your internet service provider's connection protocols. Knowing if this is slowly becoming a more common problem (This use to only affect select school/ university connections, where BYOND traffic would be mistaken for something else) would be beneficial for us as far as knowing exactly how common of a problem this is becoming.

Thanks, and good luck!
Cyberghost did not in fact fix my problem. However, after trying various other games, 1 out of 5 of them worked for me. Although it's not a game I want to play, the one's I do don't start and just close down the second they connect to the server. That one game however works just fine.

I still have no idea what's causing this as nothing on my side has changed since I used to play. Same ISP, Same PC (without any crucial hardware or software changes). So I really have no idea at this point as to why the games I used to play do not work.
Thanks for replying back,

If you can connect to some games, but not all, that suggests that the problem is most-likely an issue on the server side that you won't be able to do anything about.

You can try to clear your cache again, but if that doesn't solve it, then there is a good chance that there's nothing we can do as far as connecting to the games that fail to connect (which could be caused by any number of issue on the host's side).

If you paste links to the games / servers that your unsuccessfully trying to join, I'll try them out and let you know if I'm able to connect to them.

Thanks,
Alright, well I know the owner of at least one. He said this has happened in the past and just wait it out or try to spam join, and eventually it worked, so I guess problem solved.

Thanks though.