ID:582321

(See the best response by A.T.H.K.)
I am wondering if their are any ways of using BYOND on Ubuntu 11.10 to develop games. I know their is WINE, but I've done some research and by the looks of it, their are a lot of graphical issues, etc when using WINE. Does anyone know any easy or any method at all of developing games on BYOND with Ubuntu 11.10.

Reason I ask is because I'm using Ubuntu due to the fact that it does less CPU-sucking then Windows, and my computer speed has increased dramatically after the switch.
You could try a virtualbox with Windows in that but you did say "computer speed has increased dramatically after the switch"

Which makes me wonder if the pc you own can handle running two OS's.

I believe there is one or two Java BYOND compiler/s / IDE/s

ID:121235 - this is not Java.
Well my system information is as follows:

Memory: 3.0 GiB
Processor: Genuine Intel CPU 2140 @ 1.60GHz x2
Graphics: NVIDIA 8600 GT

That is all the information that Ubuntu gives me on my computer.

So would you recommend I just use virtualbox or using another compiler (i.e. ID:121235)?
Best response
I don't know if the compilers are even working or up to date.

WINE worked fine for compiling (for me at least), Have you thought of using the Linux compiler that comes with the BYOND package?

If not grab Windows 98 or XP and just use that in a virtual box.
Well, I'll see if what I can do with WINE, or VirtualBox. If anything I'll just re-install Windows and put it on Low-Graphics. Thanks for the suggestions, they helped a lot.
DMIDE just delegates to the Linux DreamMaker (i.e. the compiler), it doesn't do any compiling. If what you're looking for is just a front-end, you can go with DMIDE or find your own IDE.