Regressia

by IainPeregrine
Regressia
Relive the glory days of gaming with a new single-player RPG. Regressia is a BYOND game like no other. It is 100% complete and uses all original Graphics, Music, and Programming. This is the real experience.
ID:58750

Visit the Regressia Website for more info, enemy details, level charts, downloadable media, and a complete walk-through.

Regressia is a complete single player RPG made in an authentic 8bit style. Regressia offers a completely new gameplay experience with never before seen graphics, original musical compositions, custom programming, and a unique fantasy world not based on any other media. Regressia does all this while maintaining an authentic 8bit style. By using only original content, Regressia increases that nostalgic feeling you remember from the games you played long ago.

Come and be the first to experience a new nostalgic game and form new memories of the days gone by, with the 8bit game no one has played before!

Suggestions and Bug Reports

If you have a suggestion to tweak a certain aspect of the game, or a bug to report, feel free to post a report on the forum. While you're there you can also view the update history.
What percentage of the game would you say is playable in the demo?

Also, your hub entry seems to go on and on about 8bit game with custom everything, but never actually says anything on what the game is about.
Foomer wrote:
What percentage of the game would you say is playable in the demo?

Good question. I've had some problems answering questions like this because I know exactly where to go, what to do, what's best to buy, etc., so it's hard for me to guess how long it would take you to figure out where Erastus is, and then weigh that against how long it should take you to train until you're strong enough to fight the boss of the second tower.

I would love to give a guesstimate, but I fear someone might purchase a subscription and then hold me accountable for their displeasure when the game wasn't as long as they thought.

At the most, I'd say 20% of the game is in the demo. That's in terms of percentage of the over-world map you can see in the demo. Given that you have to retrace your steps, some towns are used for multiple things, and a lot of dungeons pop up in those places later on, I'd say perhaps as little as 3 percent is in the demo if you take grinding time into consideration. All in all, I'll hang my hat on 8%, with a huge helping of "your mileage may vary".
Very cool & polished. I can tell you put a lot of thought into the design.

One issue I'm having is in viewing the help entries. The initial help page comes up but subsequent links give me navigation errors. Is that a bug on your end, a bug on our end, or just something not ready yet?
Tom wrote:
Very cool & polished. I can tell you put a lot of thought into the design.

Thanks.

One issue I'm having is in viewing the help entries. The initial help page comes up but subsequent links give me navigation errors.

I've always had problems with byond://? links and the catch. What I see on my end is never what the user ends up seeing, because my copies got catched somehow. I think I know how to fix the problem, though. I'll run everything through client.Topic() and then update.

...In fact, that shouldn't take me too long, because I already have the code written and commented out :)

Edit: The fix has been uploaded. This is where things get weird, though. I don't know if DS is going to send you the catched version of those documents, in which case the help document will continue to fail for you. If you have any ideas on how to get around that, I'm all ears.
Looks like it works now. Thanks for the quick update! If you suspect a bug (or notational confusion) on our end that caused the original problem, please do report it.
I just downloaded and everything in the help files is displaying fine for me.
Tom wrote:
Looks like it works now. Thanks for the quick update!

Good to hear. Thanks for joining the ranks of my post-release testers :)

If you suspect a bug (or notational confusion) on our end that caused the original problem, please do report it.

Sorry if my statement sounded like I was implying that. What I meant to say is that that part of the language isn't my strong suit.
So when the game gets a few months old... what are you gonna do about the banner? (New RPG) lol
I had fun. SOMEONE ELSE BEAT IT ALREADY, JEEZ.
They're probably not playing with their pager open.
Any chance you could increase the length of the character name?
SuperAntx wrote:
Any chance you could increase the length of the character name?

Maybe, if there's a real need for more characters. Remember that one of my goals with Regressia was to replicate the feel of 8bit RPGs, and most of them limited name input to 4 characters (for anyone who hasn't tried the game, Regressia limits names to 6 characters). From a practical standpoint, many of the dialogue boxes that include the player's name assume a limit of 6 characters so as to fit all the text without scrolling. So this isn't just a case of going in and changes a 6 to a 12, I'd actually have to rewrite several bits of dialogue... after I hunted down all those strings in the code, and I'm certain I'd miss several :/
Oh, well most of the cool RPG character names I reuse are about 6-8 characters long.
SuperAntx wrote:
Oh, well most of the cool RPG character names I reuse are about 6-8 characters long.

The player save files are completely unprotected. You could use a standard savefile editor to give yourself a new 8 character long name.
What else do you expect from Iain Peregrine? A classic NES-style game, bringing back some of my favorite moments of my childhood!
Doesn't get any better than this. I love this game!
Wait...

This game isn't free anymore...is it?

I still see a sub button for $6.00.
I'd say you can still subscribe to it just to be subscribed to it.
hey ianperegrine my character died while i was going to the tower of war and i accidentally hit yes to save and now i cant get to my boat can u do something
Page: 1 2