ID:63388

Keywords: personal
You might've heard of YourIcy. I recently started a personal blog there. At the suggestion of Tayoko, I am writing down my personal thoughts on my struggles with theism, organized religion, etc. Quoting him, it would make for "an epic novel/short story." Perhaps my thoughts can help you if you are struggling with similar issues, keep in mind this blog isn't meant to offend anyone... its basically just a place where I can put my thoughts into print. You can view my page here. As of right now, you need an account to view my page but if I don't get much traffic I'll remove that restriction.
Great stuff. Heading over to read it in a bit.
I'm annoyed that you made it so that I have to sign up to read your blog.
Vermolius wrote:
I'm annoyed that you made it so that I have to sign up to read your blog.

^
I'll remove the restriction for now. I encourage you guys to sign up and add me though if you find my journal of interest. After today I will put that restriction back into place.
Tayoko wrote:
Great stuff. Heading over to read it in a bit.

I totally forgot about my one, sorry mate.
I don't think you have to have an account to view people and their blogs unless you removed it recently.

http://youricy.com/?p=zxcvdnm&blog=661

Speak your mind and speak loudly.
ts
If there is a god, monitoring the entire universe in its entirety, what makes you think he cares about what's going on in earth?
IcewarriorX wrote:
If there is a god, monitoring the entire universe in its entirety, what makes you think he cares about what's going on in earth?

Because.

Why does he purportedly bring into heaven people who lie, cheat, and do all sorts of horrible things behind the backs of others while maintaining a front image of good behavior?

Because.

Why do horrible things happen to honest, faithful, extremely nice people when we apparently have a benevolent god?

Because.

Why does it apparently make sense to cherry-pick the parts of the bible that are appropriate for one's culture and ignore the parts that have become inappropriate in modern society (homosexuality is bad, eat shellfish = go to hell for eternity, etc)?

Because.

Why do people claim to believe in a religion which proclaims some sort of heaven yet barely adhere to any standards set forth by said religion?

Because they'd like to believe.

Why do people do things strictly against the rules of their faith, which should accordingly bar them from gaining access to whatever "unimaginably perfect" afterplace?

Because they don't really believe.
You didn't really answer my question.

If there's a heaven, the requirement's wouldn't be as strict as people make them out to be. Most of the bible's major figures weren't perfect, even Abraham was a killer, but he was supposedly let into heaven.

You're missing the point though, whether it's real or not is always open for debate, but it's there for a reason. It gives people hope. God can be water in the desert to a thirsty man, the same way the devil can be a bottle of liquor to an alcoholic.

The trick is not to be such a baw about it all of the time.