BYOND: Martial Arts

by Ganing
BYOND: Martial Arts
A text-based martial arts game. Travel around the world, train, challenge friends, enter weekly tournaments, become the greatest there was. Do it now.
ID:653529

Applies to:

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
So Nightcrow, Godzilla, and I were talking about an injury system and how we should tell Ganing about this. But before that, I believe that newly acquired moves should have a higher aptitude for damage output. For example, A black belt level karate move at level one should do much more damage than a white belt karate move at level one. Also, maybe some moves can have a ridiculous damage output in return for a low hit rate. Is it possible to have a set moves percent modifier where we can edit which moves we would rather use in battle. For example, A front kick could be at 50% side 30% Roundhouse 20%. There should be a minimum percentage of maybe 15% that has to be used in a move. This will stop some palyers from simply putting their worst set moves to 0.

Now onto the injury system. If an opponent were to target the legs or submission, it is possible to break the leg. This could lower the speed of a player, and lower the attack damage or stop all leg attacks (maybe an exception to taekwondo users). Attacking the body could result in broken arm, dislocated shoulder, and or a broken rib. A broken arm or dislocated shoulder will have the similar effects to a broken leg. A broken rib Would result in lowered body defense and lower arm strength.Even though i can't imagine a specific injury to the head you could add one if you like. If another fighter blocks instead of dodging or trapping bone breakage is possible. So this raises a question whether or not to make speed a variable in dodging or to have dodging and blocking be determined by defense. Now why should the defender be the only one at risk? If an attacker hits an enemy with alot of defense and their technique (Move level) is low they are also susceptible to injury. To preventthis they would need to wear protective gear to avoid bruised or broken knuckles, toes, shins, elbows(maybe), forearms. Maybe their dojo could supply gear if it is a good one.

So To make it more realistic there should be a serious cooldown when you get into a fight that causes injury. These cooldowns can be shortened or eliminated with store bought bandages, going to the hospital (some hospitals in some countries would be better than others. Also may be more expensive). If you are in a dojo and they own a clinic you would be lucky because they can patch you up. However, the clinic would have to be in the country you are in. To fight injuries a toughness stat should be added. Depending on your toughness will show your chances of getting injured. Toughness can be increased my getting injured, sustaining damage, or by simply training it through macro.

I don't know how exactly this would effect the fight system. You could make it so that if a number of injuries are inflicted the fight is automatically over. Godzilla recommends 2 broken bones and you are out. You could even set up an automated tourney that allows a fight to continue regardless of injuries( Kind of like an underground fight club.) Dojos could also host such tournaments too.
(OOC)NightCrow: Hmm, would you consider the trap system more like a clinch or counterattack kinda thing? Because we need both lol
Clinching system could work too. There are styles in the game that use clinches such as muay thai.